If you are a homeowner or a lawn care professional thinking to invest in a new string trimmer in 2021, you might be confused about what model to choose due to the multitude of string trimmers available on the market.
With so many models and so many characteristics, it might be difficult to decide which is the right tool for you.
For this reason, today I am going to talk about the 4-cycle string trimmers, explaining why they are better compared to the 2-stroke tools.
I also made a list of the best 4 cycle trimmer reviews to help you choose the best one for your lawn care.
#1 Husqvarna 324L Straight Shaft 4-Stroke Gas String Trimmer
#2 Husqvarna 224L 25cc 4-Stroke Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer
#3 Ryobi RY34420 30cc Four-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer
#4 Troy-Bilt TB575 EC 29cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch Straight Shaft Trimmer
#5 Cub Cadet 30 cc 4-Cycle Gas Split-Boom Curved Shaft String Trimmer
- Why Should You Buy A 4 Cycle Trimmer?
- How To Choose A String Trimmer
- Now Let’s Get Started On The Top 4 Cycle Trimmer Reviews…
- 1. Husqvarna 324L Straight Shaft 4-Stroke Gas String Trimmer
- 2. Husqvarna 224L 25cc 4-Stroke Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer
- 3. Ryobi RY34420 30cc Four-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer
- 4. Troy-Bilt TB575 EC 29cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch Straight Shaft Trimmer
- 5. Cub Cadet 30 cc 4-Cycle Gas Split-Boom Curved Shaft String Trimmer
- Conclusion and Final Pick
Why Should You Buy A 4 Cycle Trimmer?
When it comes to buying a gas-powered string trimmer, you will basically have to choose from two options of engines, 2-cycle or 4-stroke engines.
Most users are accustomed to the 2-cycle weed eaters, and many homeowners even believe that 2-cycle engines are better because they are more powerful and more lightweight. So, why should you buy a 4-cycle string trimmer?
Well, the main reason is because they deliver better results.
A 4-cycle engine produces more torque, a characteristic that will allow you to cut with an incredible ease through any type of grass and weeds. But this is not the only reason to choose a 4-cycle tool.
In addition to generating more torque, the 4-cycle engines produce fewer emissions, thanks to the way they are built. In fact, most of the 4-cycle engines are CARB compliant, a feature that you might find really useful.
When it comes to starting the tool, the string trimmers powered by 4-cycle engines start faster, which is a further reason to choose a tool with a 2-cycle engine.
The string trimmers powered by 4-cycle engines are also more comfortable to use. First of all, they are quieter compared to the 2-cycle engines, an important aspect especially if you are going to use the trimmer for long periods of time. Secondly, the tools powered by 4-cycle engines produce fewer vibrations. This will reduce the fatigue and you will be able to use the tool for a longer time.
The only downside of the 4-cycle engines is that they are heavier compared to the 2-cycle ones. However, this minor disadvantage can be easily overlooked if you choose a quality trimmer that is well balanced.
Now that you know why you should choose a 4-cycle trimmer, let’s find out what other things you should consider before deciding which tool to buy.
How To Choose A String Trimmer
The most important aspect of a string trimmer is, without a doubt, the cutting performance. If you want to make sure that the model you choose is reliable and durable, here are a few things to consider:
- Cutting string: depending on the characteristics of your lawn, you should choose a string trimmer with a thinner or with a thicker cutting line. There are a variety of models available on the market, but if you want to achieve professional results I suggest to choose a tool that uses a cutting line with at least .095 inches in diameter.
- Line feed: the bump feed spools could be annoying to use, but will allow you to have a better control on the amount of line that is used. On the other hand, the automatic feed spools will make trimming easier, but these tools might waste a lot of line. Based on your personal preferences, you should choose the type of trimmer that suits your needs.
- Cutting width: depending on the size of your lawn, you should choose a string trimmer with a cutting width between 10 and 12 inches. If the lawn is larger, you could even search for a model that has a cutting width larger than 12 inches. Some manufacturers also produce string trimmers with adjustable cutting swaths that are more versatile to use.
- Cutting attachments: if you have to deal frequently with tall grass or stubborn weeds than you should also consider the possibility to replace the cutting line with a cutting blade. Some manufacturers propose some models of string trimmers with these characteristics.
Besides the cutting characteristics, you should also consider the ease of use and the comfort. Therefore, you should choose a tool with the following characteristics:
- Telescopic shaft: this feature will allow you not only to adjust the length of the shaft to your own height, but it will also allow you to trim the grass from the hard-to-reach areas of your lawn. If the tool you like doesn’t have a telescopic shaft, at least choose one with a long shaft.
- Adjustable handle: in addition to the telescopic shaft, you should also check the possibility to adjust the handle’s position. When it comes to the handle, you should also choose a model with an ergonomic handle and it would be even better if the handle is padded or provided with another type of soft-grip, as this feature will reduce the level of the vibrations.
- Anti-vibration system: besides the padded handle, a tool that is equipped with an anti-vibration system is more comfortable to use.• Balance: even if the 4-cycle tools are probably the heavier models, if the gravitational center of the engine is properly balanced, the tool will be extremely comfortable to use.
The last thing to consider is the versatility of the tool. Some string trimmers are manufactured as dual-function tools, featuring cutting heads that can easily transform from trimmer into an edger, while others accept a series of attachments that completely transform the string trimmer into another outdoor tool.
Depending on your necessities, you should decide what type of string trimmer to buy. Now, read the best 4-cycle trimmer reviews and choose your tool.
Now Let’s Get Started On The Top 4 Cycle Trimmer Reviews…
1. Husqvarna 324L Straight Shaft 4-Stroke Gas String Trimmer
One of the most popular 4-cycle trimmers available on the market is the Husqvarna 324L, a string trimmer powered by a powerful 25cc engine. In addition to being powerful, this string trimmer is also versatile, accepting 13 different attachments that transform the tool from a string trimmer into an edger, blower, and cultivator, to name just a few.Extremely lightweight for a 4-cycle trimmer, the Husqvarna 324L weighs only 11.24 pounds. The cutting quality is ensured by the professional-grade .095 inches line that, in the case of necessity, can be replaced with a metal blade. Husqvarna manufactures a few cutting blades that are compatible with this model.View price
2. Husqvarna 224L 25cc 4-Stroke Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer
Another popular 4-cycle trimmer from Husqvarna is the 224L, a tool that is also powered by a 25cc engine. In many ways similar to the 324L, this string trimmer also weighs only 11.24 pounds, being easy to maneuver, and a .095 inches cutting line.However, when it comes to choosing a blade attachment, Husqvarna manufactures only one blade that is compatible with this tool, so you will have fewer options.View price
If you’re looking for further information on this particular brand, we’ve done an extensive review on all Husqvarna weed eaters.
3. Ryobi RY34420 30cc Four-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer
More powerful than the two Husqvarna trimmers described above, this Ryobi RY34420 is actually a string trimmer from a series of tools that are refurbished by the factory. This means that the tool has the functionality of a new Ryobi string trimmer, being reliable and durable.This string trimmer is powered by a 30cc 4-cycle engine and features an 18-inch cutting swath. The power combined with the large cutting width will reduce the time you have to spend caring for your lawn and increase the time you can spend actually enjoying your lawn.View price
For more detailed information, check out our Ryobi model reviews.
4. Troy-Bilt TB575 EC 29cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch Straight Shaft Trimmer
Another popular 4-cycle trimmer is the Troy-Bilt TB575 EC, a tool powered by a 29cc engine. This string trimmer has an excellent cutting ability thanks to the professional .095 inches line used and features a Click ‘n Trim bump head.When it comes to the line replacement, this trimmer boasts a convenient quick loading system that will make changing the line an easy and quick operation. The tool also comes with a 2-year warranty, which is a further prove of the high quality of the tool.View price
5. Cub Cadet 30 cc 4-Cycle Gas Split-Boom Curved Shaft String Trimmer
The last 4-cycle string trimmer reviewed is the Cub Cadet Split-Boom, a string trimmer powered by a 30cc engine. Boasting a curved shaft, this string trimmer was created to be easily maneuverable, while the 17-inch wide cutting swath will enable you to trim your lawn fast.
This string trimmer also boasts a commercial grade cutting head that works with .095 inches line. The head can also be changed with a brush cutter blade, making this tool more versatile.
For more detailed information on this brand, make sure to check out our Cub Cadet weed eater reviews as well.
Conclusion and Final Pick
There are many 4-cycle trimmers available on the market, but the most impressive one is the Husqvarna 324L. This trimmer delivers professional results and it is extremely versatile, representing an excellent option for both residential and commercial users.
The lightweight and excellent balance make this tool easy to use, while the minor flaws that it has will fade away in front of the many wonderful characteristics.
In my opinion, the Husqvarna 324L is the best 4-cycle string trimmer on the market.
If you’re looking for a different type of weed eater, don’t forget to check out our extensive reviews.