Garden bags are a great alternative to garden trash bins. But do you really need one? And if yes, why? These are two questions that tormented me for a fairly long time, until when I decided to actually invest in a good garden bag.
As a gardener, you might know by now that gardening is a messy passion. At the end of the day, you’ll end up with piles of weeds, branches, vines, and other items that need to be gathered somewhere. In most of the cases, that somewhere is your regular, plastic trash bin.
However, garden bags might be a more appropriate solution. On the market, there are dozens of models of garden bags available, and some of them are literally suitable to gather all waste. Curious to find out which are the best models without reading the whole article? Use the links below to check out our selection!
|Garden Mate 3-Pack 72 Gallons Garden Waste Bags||$$|
|Vremi 30 Gallon Pop Up Garden Bag||$$$$|
|Fiskars 30 Gallon Kangaroo Gardening Bag||$$$|
|247Garden 5-Pack 7 Gallon Garden Bags||$|
|GloryTec 2 XXL Garden Bags 132 Gallons||$$$$$|
- 1 Do You Need A Garden Bag?
- 2 How To Choose The Best Garden Bag
- 3 The Best Garden Bags To Gather All Waste
- 3.1 1. Garden Mate 3-Pack 72 Gallons Garden Waste Bags
- 3.2 3. Fiskars 30 Gallon Kangaroo Gardening Bag
- 3.3 4. 247Garden 5-Pack 7 Gallon Garden Bags
- 3.4 5. GloryTec 2 XXL Garden Bags 132 Gallons
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Do You Need A Garden Bag?
A question that haunted me for a long time was why to invest in a garden bag. After all, can’t a regular trash bin do the same thing? Namely, gather all garden waste? After testing a few models of garden bags I came up with a conclusion.
Garden trash bins can do the same thing as the garden bags. But they are bulkier, harder to carry maneuver, and harder to use. With this new vision in mind, I’d say a garden bag is an essential object to consider if you want to improve your gardening experience.
Garden trash often includes a wide variety of small yet bulky items, such as dry leaves, weeds, grass clippings, vines, and more. This waste typically requires a container larger than the average and a garden bag presents the advantage of being large yet maneuverable.
In fact, most garden bags available on the market are collapsible, which means that it will be easier for you to fill them up and store them when not in use. Garden bags also tend to have wider openings compared to the plastic trash cans.
Another great advantage of the garden bags is their weight. Garden bags are usually made of lightweight materials that make them easy to carry around even when full at maximum capacity. And don’t worry, lightweight doesn’t mean of low quality, as their materials are usually engineered to resist to heavy-duty work.
I should also mention the capacity of the garden bags. Because of their different structure, garden bags boast large capacities that often exceed 30 gallons, although their size is usually contained. This means that it will be easier for you to maneuver and carry the trash bag from one corner of the yard to another.
Last but not least, most garden bags are suitable for other purposes too. For all these reasons, you should at least consider investing in a garden bag and see its advantages for yourself, if you’re not yet convinced of its qualities.
How To Choose The Best Garden Bag
When I first decided to invest in a garden bag I was surprised of the wide variety of models available on the market. Because of the vast choice, deciding which one was the best for my purpose was a daunting task. Nevertheless, after a lot of research I narrowed down the options using the following five criteria:
- Capacity: the first thing to consider when choosing your garden bags is the capacity. Garden waste is generally lightweight but bulky, therefore choosing a spacious bag is a must. Ideally, the bag should have a capacity of at least 30 gallons. Bags with lower capacities can also be used but only if you use them to gather more compact waste such as branches or vines.
- Size: size isn’t synonymous with capacity. In all cases, the garden bag should be large, but it is recommended to search for a wider bag rather than a tall one. The reason is simple. Filling a shorter bag is easier, as you’ll not have to make an extra effort to lift the waste too high.
- Material: most garden bags are made of polypropylene fabric. This material is resistant to wear and tear, lightweight, and it is usually cheap. Although you could consider garden bags made of alternative materials, I would still recommend the use of polypropylene bags for their many advantages that include the resistance to heavy-duty use. Another thing you might want to check is the impermeability of the bag.
- Usability: another thing to consider is the usability of the bag. You should be comfortable to carry the bag around your garden or lawn, therefore you should check if it is equipped with convenient and sturdy handles. I have to mention the size again, as a bag that is too high for you will most likely be hard to maneuver.
- Multipurpose functionality: as I mentioned above, the best part about the garden bags is their multipurpose functionality. Most garden bags can double as laundry bags too, or you could use them to store your kid’s toys. Whatever the purpose, garden bags can easily find a use either in the garden or inside the house.
The Best Garden Bags To Gather All Waste
1. Garden Mate 3-Pack 72 Gallons Garden Waste Bags
Inspired by the gardener’s desires and sustained by the German quality, the Garden Mate 3-Pack 72 Gallons Garden Waste Bags are some of the most popular garden bags available on the market. Their success is driven by the choice of materials, the quality of the product, and the multipurpose functionality.This pack includes three garden bags of 72 gallons each. The bags are made of a durable polypropylene woven fabric that is water repellent and coated with a reinforcing PE coating which is water and tear resistant.To this professional structure, the manufacturer added two sturdy handles fixed to the bag with four double-stitches. Thanks to this structure, the garden bags are ideal for heavy loads of light to medium-weight garden waste, and especially for dried leaves, vines, mulch, and branches.Another thing that makes these bags stand out is the choice of an environmentally friendly material. In fact, the polypropylene used for the manufacturing is environmentally friendly and ideal to use even by the most conscious gardeners.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Collapsible: the bag is 18 inches wide and 24 inches tall, but the best part is that it folds down compactly to a 2-inch disk that saves a lot of storage space.
- Capacity: although compact, this garden bag has an excellent capacity and it can hold up to 30 gallons of garden waste.
- Portable: the bag is easy to carry around by simply closing the drawstring and transforming the bag into a garden tote.
- Bonus: the garden bag comes with a pair of heavy-duty gardening gloves made of the same material, which is simply great!
Things We Didn’t Like
- The handles are sewn to the bag with a poor quality thread, and they can easily tear away during use.
3. Fiskars 30 Gallon Kangaroo Gardening Bag
Fiskars 30 Gallon Kangaroo Gardening Bag is another great collapsible garden bag to consider. The brand’s name is a guarantee of quality, and the garden bag they propose is a product that doesn’t disappoint.This garden bag is ideal for collecting almost all types of gardening waste, including grass clippings, weeds, vines, and dried leaves. The bag, on the other hand, doubles as a laundry basket or toy storage solution for both indoors and outdoors.Since the model is collapsible, the bag folds to a flat disk whenever not in use. It is easy to store it anywhere inside the house or even hung on a wall on your porch or in a shed.Although the capacity is of 30 gallons, the bag has rather compact dimensions. In fact, the bag measures 1,25x22.8x23.75 inches.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Resistance: the bag is made to withstand both heavy-duty use and outdoor weather. The vinyl-coated polyester is tear and mildew resistant, providing a lasting value.
- Easy to clean: there is no need to wash the bag. Simply wipe it with a damp cloth to clean it in minutes.
- Sturdiness: the handles of the bag are sturdy and comfortable to use even when the bag is full at maximum capacity. This ensures an easy unloading.
- Lifetime warranty: the manufacturer offers a limited lifetime warranty with this product, which is a guarantee of its quality.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The container doesn’t have any type of cover, which is a downside if you don’t plan to empty it right away.
4. 247Garden 5-Pack 7 Gallon Garden Bags
Things We Liked
- Functionality: these garden growing bags double as waste garden bags, are provided with sturdy handles, and perfect to use for other purposes too.
- Dimension: the bags have a capacity of 7 gallons and they measure 12 inches in height and 13 inches in diameter.
- Quantity: the manufacturer sells these bags in packs of five, which is great for both waste gathering and plant growing purposes.
- Choice: the bags are available in multiple dimensions that vary between 1 and 25 gallons.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the manufacturer claims these bags have a capacity of 7 gallons, they seem much smaller.
5. GloryTec 2 XXL Garden Bags 132 Gallons
If you have a large property or for professional purposes, investing in very large garden bags is a must. GloryTec 2 XXL Garden Bags 132 Gallons is a set to consider, as it holds two garden bags with a capacity of 132 gallons each.These bags are made of a robust material and have a reinforced bottom that is made of a double layer of material. In detail, the material used for manufacturing these bags is a 150gsm polypropylene woven fabric that is UV stabilized, tear resistant and water repellent.Another great detail is the plastic hoop present on each bag. This feature is designed to keep the bag open for an easier filling, and I can say it is simply great.Last but not least, the multipurpose functionality is another feature to mention. The bag is ideal to use to gather garden waste, or as toy storage or laundry bag.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Heavy-duty: this is a heavy-duty bag engineered to hold leaves and grass, steams of trees, branches, steams of shrubs, wilted parts, and more.
- Size: the garden bag is spacious and it has the perfect size to be used with ease. In detail, the bag measures 33 inches in both diameter and height.
- Handles: these garden bags are equipped with four handles, which offers a great advantage when handling the bag regardless of the side.
- Reinforced: both the handles and the bottom of each bag are reinforced to resist to heavy loads.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Great, heavy-duty bags but the fabric is rather thin and it can be easily damaged by sharper debris.
Conclusion & Final Pick
The choice of the best garden bags is almost always subjective. Beyond the fabric and construction preferences, the main feature that weights in the choice is the probably the capacity. Apart from these considerations, my favorite garden bag is the Vremi 30 Gallon Pop Up Garden Bag.
The feature I like best is the collapsibility. The bag is easy to handle and easy to store thanks to this great characteristic.
Apart from the collapsibility, this garden bag is also made of a heavy-duty material. In detail, the bag is made of durable oxford fabric and it is reinforced with steel. The hard shell base is a further feature that makes this garden bag reliable.
Last but not least, the garden bag comes with a pair of matching gloves. This is great as you’ll be able to protect your hands while carrying out with the garden chores. Add to all these features the multipurpose use, and you’ll have one of the greatest garden bags on the market. In my opinion, the best!