The 4th of July, Thanksgiving, Christmas, a birthday party or simply the blooming of your flowers are good enough reasons to decorate your garden with one or more small garden flags. Without a doubt, there is a small garden flag for every gardener.
In addition to garden statues, the small garden flags give you the possibility to display your personality in the best possible way. These decorative objects are made to mix and match in your yard or vegetable garden, they occupy a very little space, and can even beautify a porch or patio.
If you never had a small garden flag before, then read this guide to find out how to pick the best one. If you just want to see our selection, click on the links in the table below.
#1 EasyGoProducts Seasonal Holiday Garden Flags Set
#2 Toland Home Garden - Cardinals In Snow
#3 UPmagic Let It Snow Winter Double Sided Christmas Garden Flag
#4 Toland Home Garden - Garden Hearts
#5 Toland Home Garden - Tree Birds
- Types Of Small Garden Flags
- How To Choose Small Garden Flags
- Best Small Garden Flags For Your Property
- 1. EasyGoProducts Seasonal Holiday Garden Flags Set
- 2. Toland Home Garden – Cardinals In Snow
- 3. UPmagic Let It Snow Winter Double Sided Christmas Garden Flag
- 4. Toland Home Garden – Garden Hearts
- 5. Toland Home Garden – Tree Birds
- Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Small Garden Flags
Small garden flags are decorative pieces of fabric that can have different shapes but usually don’t exceed the dimensions of 15×18 inches. Often, these flags are the miniature and more popular version of the garden banners. Small garden flags are easier to integrate into a yard or garden, which is a great advantage for most homeowners.
The small garden flags are usually displayed on garden flag poles or display units, but they can also hang from a windowsill or fence.
On the market, there are various types of small garden flags which can be categorized based on the manufacturing method. Let’s have a look at their characteristics.
These small garden flags are printed using sublimation inks which are then placed on the fabric that is used to make the flag. When the image is centered and positioned as desired, the manufacturer sublimates the ink by heating it up. The ink evaporates and permeates the fabric, dying it in the colors of the ink.
These garden flags are probably the most detailed and artistic ones because the process maintains all the fine details of the original artwork.
The downside of this process is that any words printed on the flag are usually readable only from one side. This happens because the image printed is reversed on the back of the flag. It may happen to find heat sublimation flags printed on both sides, however, they are usually made of two separate flags sewn together.
Silk screened flags are made by printing the artwork directly on the fabric rather than separately. Since this process dyes the fabric instantly, it might be less accurate than heat sublimation. The depth of the color is also inferior to the heat sublimation process.
The image will still be visible reversed on the back of the flag and words are readable only from one side. The main difference between the two types of flags is the intensity of the colors on the back side.
Appliqued flags are created in a way similar to the patchwork quilts. Each piece of fabric is sewn to the other to create a picture.
Because of the manufacturing process, these flags are usually readable from both sides, the image is oriented in the same way either on front and on the back and the colors are also intense on both sides. However, because of the laborious process, these small garden flags are usually more expensive compared to the others.
How To Choose Small Garden Flags
The size of the small garden flag is probably the first thing to consider. Small garden flags usually vary in size from 11×15 inches to 15×18 inches, and everything in between. To make sure it will fit in your space, measure the flag but make sure to consider the size of the flag pole or display unit too.
If your yard or garden is really small, it’s always an idea to consider hanging the flag from a windowsill or porch.
The differences between the various types of flags are highlighted above, but when choosing one for your garden things go beyond preference.
Without a doubt, you should choose the one manufactured with the preferred technique, but you should also consider other important things. For example, if you want to be able to read any wording from both sides, then an appliqued flag might be the best choice.
On the other hand, if you’re going to display the flag next to a fence or wall, thus have it visible from one side only, then choosing a silk screened or heat sublimation flag might save you some money.
The theme is usually easy to choose and goes hand in hand with your personal taste. However, you should consider this aspect especially if you want to display a small garden flag all year round.
On the market, there are dozens of small garden flags designed to match holidays or national events, and they are great for occasional use.
If you want to display the garden flag for a longer time, it might be a better idea to invest in a set of seasonal garden flags you’ll only have to change every few months. There are even artistic garden flags suitable to be displayed regardless of the season or time of the year.
If you want to add an original touch to your property, you can even opt for a custom made small garden flag displaying, for example, your family name or any other personal image you like.
Last but not least, don’t forget to invest in a set of small garden flags for birthdays, especially if you like to host garden parties for such an event.
Best Small Garden Flags For Your Property
1. EasyGoProducts Seasonal Holiday Garden Flags Set
In my opinion, investing in a small garden flags set is the best solution. There are various sets out there, but I tend to like the ones that have just the right flag for any occasion. Just like the Seasonal Holiday Garden Flags Set by EasyGoProducts.This garden flags set includes nine flags printed on both sides and that are suitable for literally any event. In detail, the set includes a seasonal flag for each of the four seasons, an Easter-themed flag, one for the St. Valentine’s Day and one for St. Patrick’s, a 4th of July flag, and one suitable to display at birthdays. The winter flag is designed to match the Winter Holidays too.This decorative set boasts elegant designs that will make your property stand out. Regarding the measures, the flags are 12 inches wide and 18 inches long.The manufacturer also offers a useful bonus with the flags, which is a lightweight and portable display unit which stands 35,5 inches tall and has a width of 14 inches. It holds flags with a width of maximum 12 inches.View price
Things We Liked
- Easy set up: this small garden flags set includes everything you need to set up the decoration. The display unit is made of black fiberglass and is easy to put together.
- Versatile: the nine flags included in the set are suitable for all seasons. The images printed are fun yet elegant.
- Colors: all flags boast bright colors, while the dyes are of high quality and will not fade away quickly.
- Guaranteed: the set is backed up by a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you’re not happy with the purchase, return the set in 30 days to obtain a full refund.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The display pole is very lightweight and wind might blow it off with ease.
2. Toland Home Garden – Cardinals In Snow
Sometimes, a seasonal garden flag is all that you need. Many homeowners only use small garden flags during the Winter Holiday season, and one of the most popular flags is the Cardinals In Snow by Toland Home Garden.This small garden flag is suitable to place anywhere in the yard, or even in a flowerpot on your porch. The flag is dyed with bright and durable inks, it is made of polyester and machine washable for an added comfort.The artwork used for this flag, on the other hand, is simply adorable. The cardinals in snow are suitable to decorate your garden for the whole winter, while the wreath decorating the bird’s house brings the joy of Christmas to your property.The flag measures only 12,5x18 inches and it can be displayed on a flag pole or display unit, according to your preference.View price
Things We Liked
- Made in the USA: this adorable garden flag is printed in the USA with premium colorfast permanent dyes. The colors are vibrant and bright and will last for a really long time.
- Original artwork: the design is the original artwork of William Vanderdasson, an artist creating exclusively for the Toland Home Garden line of decorative flags.
- Durable colors: the fabric is dyed through heat sublimation with ColorMax permanent dyes. The details of the original artwork are maintained on each flag.
- Visible from both sides: the image is visible from both sides, although it is reversed on one side.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The flag resists well in the harsh winter weather but strong winds blow it away if not secured properly.
3. UPmagic Let It Snow Winter Double Sided Christmas Garden Flag
Let It Snow Winter Double Sided Christmas Garden Flag is another beautiful small garden flag to consider if you’re looking for a winter holidays flag. This flag is manufactured by UPmagic and it is made of durable polyester that resists well to all weather elements.Another great characteristic of the flag is the double-sided printing technique that ensures that the image is visible from both sides. The words on the image, however, are only readable from one side.The adorable design fits perfectly in the winter atmosphere while the vibrant colors make this flag suitable to display throughout the winter.Regarding dimensions, the flag is available in two different sizes. If you need a small garden flag to display in a tiny yard, then the small size of 12x18 inches might be the right choice. For a larger property, you can choose the flag measuring 28x40 inches.View price
Things We Liked
- Double sided: most printed garden flags are only visible from one side, but this is not the case of the Let It Snow flag, which is double sided.
- Fabric: the image is printed on 300D polyester fabric designed to withstand weather elements and harsh winters.
- Design: the snowman is simply adorable and the theme is suitable to be displayed for the whole winter.
- Two sizes: the flag comes in a small size of 12×18 inches and a large size of 28×40 inches. You can even display both flags in different areas of the property.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The image is reversed on one side, therefore the words are not readable on both sides of the flag.
4. Toland Home Garden – Garden Hearts
The Garden Hearts by Toland Home Garden is an adorable small garden flag advertised as a flag for the Valentine’s but that is suitable to display in the garden regardless of the season. In fact, the beautiful pattern is rather neutral and matches well with all the periods of the year.This garden flag is a great Welcome flag to hang next to the entrance or near the gate of your property. With a dimension of 12,5x18 inches, this flag fits well even in the tiniest spaces.Garden Hearts is manufactured in the USA with the heat sublimation technique. This method maintains all the original details of the artwork, resulting in a highly decorative piece for your property. The fabric used is 100% polyester which is UV and mildew resistant.The colors are bright and vibrant, while the image is visible from both sides of the flag. Nevertheless, since the flag is printed on only one side, the text is displayed correctly only on one side.View price
Things We Liked
- Theme: the Garden Hearts is a small garden flag suitable to use in all seasons. The intense red mixed with the other warm shades and colors will certainly make your day brighter.
- Size: suitable for all gardens, this flag measures 12,5×18 inches. It fits in the narrowest spaces and it is suitable to use indoors too.
- Weather resistant: the image is printed on 100% polyester fabric which is UV and mildew resistant. The colors will last even in harsh or extreme weathers.
- Quality: the flag is manufactured of premium quality materials. It makes a great gift for a beloved gardener.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The rod pocket is narrow, so make sure you have a thin rod flag pole or display unit.
5. Toland Home Garden – Tree Birds
Toland Home Garden has been producing premium quality small garden flags since 1978, and their experience speaks for the quality and beauty of their product. Their Tree Birds garden flag is simply amazing from both an artistic and quality point of view.This garden flag is suitable to display from spring to autumn, thanks to the adorable image and inspired combination of colors. Moreover, the dyes chosen resist to UV rays and weather elements for a really long time.Regarding dimensions, this small garden flag is suitable to display anywhere in your garden, even in a square foot raised bed. The flag measures 12,5x18 inches and it fits perfectly on most display units and flag poles.The design is the original artwork of Jennifer Lommers, an artist creating exclusively for the Toland’s Home Garden line of decorative flags.View price
Things We Liked
- Original artwork: printed on the fabric through heat sublimation, the image preserves all the original details imagined by the artist.
- Size: this original garden flag is suitable to display even in the narrowest yards or smallest gardens, thanks to the compact size.
- Exclusive design: the artwork is created exclusively for the Toland Home Garden, therefore you won’t be able to see it from other manufacturers.
- Quality: the flag is made of 100% polyester fabric which is UV, weather, and mildew resistant.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The flag doesn’t have a safety hoop to keep it on the pole and the wind might blow it away easily.
Conclusion & Final Pick
The choice of a garden flag is always subjective, but in my opinion, it’s worth investing in a set. That’s why I was not surprised to find out that the most popular small garden flags on the market are those included in the Seasonal Holiday Garden Flags Set by EasyGoProducts.
This set includes nine flags designed to match all seasons and occasions. Moreover, the manufacturer offers a free display unit, which is a nice addition. The flags are elegant and the designs are printed in high-quality vibrant colors chosen to impress.
Measuring only 12×18 inches, the flags are also suitable to display anywhere on the property. They are perfect to decorate a flower bed, a patio or porch, a gazebo, or even the inside of your home. The lightweight and portable display unit, on the other hand, will allow you to change the position of the flags as often as you want.
The flags also come with a 100% satisfaction guarantee, therefore there are no risks of checking out these small garden flags by yourself! In my opinion, these beautiful flags truly deserve a chance.