Spiders are one of the peskiest insects that harm gardens and can be dangerous to human beings. Most gardeners and homeowners are constantly annoyed by their ability to re-emerge within weeks of the treatment. If you are tired of all the non-working tips and tricks, we highly recommend going through this article.
Our comprehensive buyer’s guide includes the top five spider repellent products for your garden and indoors. If your garden is infested with these eight-legged creatures, we highly recommend investing in these below-mentioned treatments that genuinely work. This guide also gives you a variety of compositions to choose from, according to your preference and needs.
Quick Comparison: Top picks for best spider repellent for your vegetable garden[wptb id="507540" not found ]
Raid Insect Killer Spray is the sure answer to the most searched phrase in the gardening community, i.e., how to get rid of spiders in your garden? This aerosol-based spider repellent bags the first place on our list because of its efficacy. The product not only kills spiders but also leaves no residue or harmful odor behind.
- Manufacturer: SCJohnson
- Type: Aerosol spray
- Active Ingredients: d-Phenothrin, prallethrin, sodium nitrite, petroleum distillates
- Volume: 14.24 ounces
- The Raid House & Garden Bug Spray is an excellent choice for gardens that are riddled with spiders. The active ingredients ensure that no crops, plants, fruits, leaves, or vegetables get damaged after spraying on the plants.
- One of the best things about this spray is its non-chemical odor. The product is potent on insects but leaves no off-putting chemical odor after the application.
- The formula works perfectly to get rid of critters without irritating the user’s eyes and nose. Many sensitive people find it difficult to breathe around repellents, but this product contains no irritants.
- Apart from getting rid of spiders, this product is highly efficacious in killing aphids, crickets, climbing cutworms, roaches, silverfish, flies, Japanese beetles, leafhoppers, whiteflies, mosquitoes, and many insects. A simple spray can eradicate all the pesky critters and insects in your garden area and garden bed.
- Raid House & Garden Bug Spray comes with an easy-to-use aerosol spray that requires no pre-preparation.
- The product is competent enough to ward off spiders up to four weeks after its first use.
- Raid’s safe formula is suitable for all indoor and outdoor needs. This spray can also double up as a repellent for other indoor pesky critters at your home.
Many users are dissatisfied with the volume of the product according to its price. The price of this product is on a higher side according to the usage and product volume. The can tends to spray, shoot and empty soon after a few uses.
The formula has hints of a subtle citrus fragrance. The pleasant orange smell masks the traditional intense repellent odor.
Raid spider repellent is an excellent item if you wish to kill all the garden spiders without harming your plants. The company has a unique pest control product line that attacks, controls, and prevents bug problems. We highly recommend using a combination of their bug repellents products to make your space completely pest-free.
#Runner up Mighty Mint Spider Repellent
Spiders in the backyard can be a daunting situation, especially if you have kitchen herbs planted in your backyard. Gardeners need a spider repellent that is 100% natural and contains no chemical products for such delicate plants. Our runner-up product – The Mighty Mint Spider Repellent, is the most fitting repellent for such cases.
- Manufacturer: Pure Origin Products
- Type: Liquid spray
- Active Ingredients: Pure origin peppermint essential oil
- Volume:16 ounces
- The Mighty Mint Spider Repellent is formulated using natural ingredients that are 100% plant-based. The product has zero harmful chemicals and no toxic materials in its composition.
- The liquid is extra concentrated as compared to any other spider repellent on the market. The concentrated formula gives long-lasting protection against spiders.
- This spider repellent is excellent for garden variety spiders as well as brown and house spiders. The product can kill most types of spiders without harming your plant bed or garden.
- The Mighty Mint is made using an advanced formula with only the strongest and purest US peppermint oil.
- Unlike other chemical-ridden repellent solutions, this item is entirely safe around cats, dogs, and other pets. The natural formula is non-toxic even for children and toddlers.
- You do not have to prepare any concoction before using the product. The item is very straightforward to use and comes with an easy spritzer bottle for quick application.
- Users can use this product in and around their houses and furniture without worrying about residues or odors. Upon application, you are bound to smell the pure and pleasant smell of peppermint throughout the home and garden.
- The product works flawlessly to kill and repel spiders, but the only major drawback of this spray is the frequency of use. Users are required to reapply the product quite frequently to enjoy optimal results. This consistent application can sometimes become tedious.
- The sprayer nozzle of this product is low quality and often fails to work. The nozzle usually chokes up or leaks during application.
- The product is entirely free from any common non-natural petroleum ingredients. Most repellents have sodium lauryl sulfate as their base ingredients, but this product is completely devoid of it, making it even safer.
- This Mighty Mint Spider Repellent Treatment is proudly made in the USA and goes under thorough quality checking for reliable and effective results.
We highly recommend this product to someone apprehensive about introducing chemicals and toxins in their gardens and indoors. The natural ingredients are entirely safe for gardens, leather furniture, and even carpets.
#Alternative: Organic Hedge Apples Spider Repellent
Hedge apple plants are popularly known as spider repellent plants because of their excellent repellent properties. This product uses a unique method to get rid of spiders that requires no reapplication throughout the weeks. This organic and natural remedy is ideal for preventing spider infestation during the fall and winter seasons. Let’s jump to the product’s benefits to find all the positives and possible uses.
- Manufacturer: Thunder Acres
- Type: Natural insect repellent
- Active Ingredients: Organic fruit
- Volume:12 units
- The order comes with a pack of 12 Organic Hedge Apples that are freshly harvested by Thunder Acres. You can place one hedge apple around in each corner, window sill, or spot infected with a spider infestation.
- The fruit is excellent and can be used indoors as well as outdoors. You can also place these fruits near your garden to keep the spiders away.
- This natural insect repellent is handpicked from the treetops under proper care. You are bound to receive fully ripe and non-defective hedge apples in your box.
- The farm uses 100% natural practices while growing the fruit. Furthermore, the fruit contains no harmful toxic chemicals that can cause any allergic reactions.
- If you support sustainable farming, then this repellent can be your next favorite product as the owners take pride in using sustainable methods to reduce wastage and pollution.
- Apart from its repellent use, the product also merges nicely as home decor. Plopping a couple of these on your coffee table will eliminate the spiders while adding a charming element to the room.
- These fruits can last more than three months from the date of their arrival. You do not have to replace these fruits every week just for the product to work.
- The repellent is also entirely safe to use around pets and kids of all ages.
A few customers feel that the packaging needs to be improved by the manufacturer. Since the product is very fragile, it gets bruised during the shipping process, primarily because of the lack of fillers between each fruit.
- This item comes with a complimentary free pair of garden gloves with each order.
- The fruit still works to repel the spiders even after it is completely dried up. You are bound to get a maximum repellent effect for many months.
This repellent solution is excellent for people who wish to invest in a completely natural product that doesn’t need reapplication.
#Alternative: Natria Insecticidal Soap Spider Repellent
Our second alternative is the Natria Insecticidal Soap Spider Repellent. Natria pondered over the question- What keeps spiders away? After years of research, the company finally formulated a powerful insecticidal soap repellent that contains effective ingredients.
- Manufacturer: SBM Life Science
- Type: Miticide spray
- Active Ingredients: Potassium salt of fatty acids, water, blend of emulsifiers
- Volume: 10.5 inches
- The product is excellent in killing spiders and other pesky insects like mealybugs, aphids, mites, whiteflies, and much more.
- Its fast-acting power instantly kills all the insects within minutes of its applications. The fast action formula is excellent for killing giant spiders living in your backyard or garden.
- Natria Insecticidal Soap Spider Repellent is extremely easy to use and does not require extra bottles, pre-mixes, or additional ingredients. Shake and spritz the liquid all over the infested area and enjoy a spider-free property.
- This insecticide is perfect for many indoor and outdoor uses. You can use this product on your vegetable, fruit, and flower plants without damaging them.
- This spray does not have a very pungent post-application smell. The odor is completely harmless and doesn’t smell of chemicals.
- This particular spider repellent spray is OMRI listed for organic use. Even gardeners practicing organic gardening can use this repellent without any adverse effects.
The product requires users to spray the liquid almost every day to keep the spiders away from the plants.
Unfortunately, we couldn’t find any extra features worth mentioning.
This product is a good buy for people who wish to protect their garden from spiders and a variety of other bugs. Organic gardeners can surely use this product without worrying about the ingredient list.
#Alternative: Ortho BugClear Insect Killer
Our final alternative is the Ortho BugClear Insect Killer with an innovative sprayer model. This product is excellent for gardeners who garden on a big chunk of land and wish to protect the same. Let’s look at all the benefits and extra features to help you make an informed decision.
- Manufacturer: Ortho
- Type: Spray
- Active Ingredients: Bifenthrin, Zeta-Cypermethrin
- Volume: 2.33 pounds
- This spider repellent spray is powerful and can kill nearly 235 bugs and insects, including various spider species.
- The Ortho BugClear Insect Killer is an excellent choice to use on massive lawns and landscapes alike.
- Its ready-to-use formula can instantly kill spiders within minutes of its application. The potent formula also provides long-lasting control.
- This product is more suitable for outdoor purposes where you need to cover a lot of areas. The liquid is completely safe to spray on flowers, trees, shrubs, vegetables, and fruits.
- You can cover a large area by connecting a garden hose to the attached sprayer component on the bottle.
- Each bottle can cover approximately 1,400 sq. ft. of foundation, 5,300 sq. ft. lawn, or 2,700 sq. ft. of foliage.
- The formula gives a whopping 6-month control on most spider species. However, you might need to spray frequently to get rid of the brown recluse, black widow, or hobo.
- The product is non-staining and odor-free. Users have the choice to select from concentrate, granules, and ready-to-use formulas.
The repellent doesn’t come with a reliable spraying mechanism. Many users have noticed leaks and bursts during the first application.
The product comes in a complete non-hassle ready-to-use packaging. The company provides you with three forms to choose from, based on your preference.
We highly recommend this treatment for extensive gardens and plots that are struggling with a spider infestation. However, please pay attention to the drying time and only allow your pets to walk over the area after it is dry.
Spider Repellent For Your Vegetable Garden FAQ
How can I keep spiders out of my garden?
You do not want to have too many spiders in your garden when you have worked so hard to nurture a variety of flowers and other plants. However, most people are confused about ways of keeping spiders out of their garden. The reason is simple: there are multiple ways you can follow to make spiders stay away. Depending on the type of garden that you have, you can pick one of the options.
For instance, if you do not want to get chemicals involved in the process, you have to do manual labor. It means you have to find and remove spider webs as they start appearing. Here is the problem, though. Because you are not treating the root cause, more webs will keep appearing. Therefore, you will have to spend a lot of time with the web removal process.
However, the easiest option is to go for an eco-friendly spider repellent. Spider repellents are made using a set of components that spiders want to avoid. If these repellents are present in your garden, spiders would naturally stay away. You can also choose to plant some of the spider-repellent plants in your garden. It makes sure that your garden remains safe and sound without involving any kind of chemicals.
You can also try to create anti-spider devices in your garden. For instance, once you have found where the spiders are coming from, you can set up sticky traps. In case you have a yard, some people recommend the use of tobacco spray as well. In some cases, the use of salt water can also keep your garden safe from spiders..
Long story short, you can use a number of methods to keep spiders out of your garden. You simply have to ensure that the method does not impact the plants, flowers, and other beings inside the garden. In addition, you will have to ensure that the good insects remain within the space. Otherwise, you take the risk of reducing the chances of pollination and growth.
What can you spray on plants to keep spiders away?
As we said earlier, if you want to keep spiders away, sprays are a practical option. Because you are putting the repellent on the plants, the spiders would not dare to touch the surface. Compared to placing a spider-repellent plant in the garden, sprays are convenient and more effective. First, however, you have to select one of the suitable spray options from the available choices. You have three options to choose from.
Peppermint essential oil is one of the things you can spray to keep spiders away from plants. The best part about this essential oil is that you can get it conveniently. You can use an existing spray solution to ensure that the essential oil reaches the different parts of the plant. Another impressive thing about using essential oils is that you can keep other insects away. Many users mix essential oils and other components to create pest control systems.
The second option is to get tobacco spray. Tobacco spray is a natural spider repellent that you can use in your yard and the garden. The most impressive part about the solution is that you can create it on your own. To make the solution, you have to take some water and boil it by adding a package of chewing tobacco into it. Once the solution is cooled down, you can use the material with a spray system. You can see spiders running for their life after a single session.
The third option is to get a professional spider repellent system from the market. These repellents are more effective than the two options we have mentioned above. Because they are designed to work with gardens, you do not have to worry about side effects, either. Compared to the amount of time and effort you have to put into a DIY spider repellent, getting a pre-made repellent from the store is a wise decision. Nowadays, you do not have trouble finding natural spider repellents as well.
How do I get rid of spiders in my garden naturally?
Fortunately, you can find a number of natural ways to get rid of spiders from your garden. You can choose between pre-made spider repellent sprays or create something on your own. For instance, tobacco sprays and a mixture containing peppermint essential oils are considered effective ways to keep spiders away from the garden. You can also try some of the older mixtures that come with extreme smells. You have to keep in mind that the spider repellent must have a stronger impact on their sense of smell. Because spiders do not scroll on the plants, the scent will play an essential role in keeping them away from your plants. It is also a great idea to combine a spider repellent spray with some spider repellent plants.
What about spider repellent plants?
As we mentioned just now, spider repellent plants are a great way to keep spiders away from your garden. These are also the most natural way to keep your garden spider-free. Some of the spider repellent plants that you can try are:
- Peppermint: Peppermint is one of the most effective spider repellent plants because of its smell. The scent is so penetrative that spiders would not dare to stay in your garden.
- Basil: Basil also has qualities that keep spiders away from your garden. Regardless of which garden you have, a basil plant will add a good smell and nice looks to it.
- Lavender: Lavender is one of the best spider repellent plants you can get. As you can guess, the high impact on smell is why it is on the list. An impressive fact about lavender is that it adds a serene smell and removes other pests from your garden.
- Lemon Balm: You can also consider planting Lemon Balm trees if you want to keep your garden free from spiders. These plants are easy to grow and do not require much effort from your side.
We hope our buyer’s guide puts an end to your frequent searches for ‘how to get rid of outdoor spiders’ or ‘how to kill garden spiders.’ The products mentioned in this guide are highly effective in keeping the spider infestation at bay. We highly recommend purchasing a repellent treatment according to the garden size, infestation severity, and product formulations