If you have a garden, you probably know that besides enjoying lovely afternoons and evenings outdoors, you should also take care of the lawn.
A lawn mower is, therefore, an indispensable tool to have in your shed if you want to keep your lawn tidy and to feel proud about your garden.
If you are considering buying a cordless lawn mower, we put up this guide to help you make a wise decision. We will let you know what characteristics to look for and how to choose the right tool. We also prepared the best cordless lawn mower reviews for five models we believe are the best on the market. In this way, you will be able to compare the features and decide which is the right tool for you.
- How to Choose a Lawn Mower
- Desired Features of the Cordless Lawn Mowers
- Five Best Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews
- 1. GreenWorks Pro 80V 21-Inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
- 2. EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower
- 3. BLACK+DECKER CM2040 Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower, 20-Inch, 40-volt
- 4. GreenWorks 2501302 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- 5. Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
- Conclusions and Final Pick
How to Choose a Lawn Mower
The mower is an important tool not only for cutting the grass, but also to improve your garden’s aesthetics. Here are a few things to consider when choosing a lawn mower:
- Pay attention to the size and power of the device. You will definitely want a powerful motor, but the size shouldn’t be excessive.
- If you have a terraced garden, choose a lightweight model. You will be able to operate it more easily.
- Consider the modern models with bodies built in ABS plastic or aluminum. These mowers are more resistant to scratches and don’t rust.
- If possible, choose a model with a folding handle. These mowers are easier to transport and store.
- Don’t underestimate the availability of the spare parts, accessories and the proximity of the support centers.
In addition to this advice, there are many other things to consider when choosing the best lawn mower.
If your lawn is small, a compact, lightweight and easy to maneuver mower is probably the right choice for you. The cordless lawn mowers represent excellent choices for the small to medium-sized lawns.
If you have a large lawn, you will need a mower that can operate at a long distance from a power source, thus a cordless mower could be a good choice.However, in this case, you will probably want to choose a model that comes with a second battery, so you can replace it easily and quickly when necessary.
Type of Lawn
If you have a regular lawn, with grass that should be maintained at about 1.5” height, the most popular mowers are those with rotating blades. These models are cheap, easy to handle and simple to use.
If you have a lawn with special types of grass, such as the bent grass, you will have to maintain the grass’ height between 0.5” and 1”. In this case, the mower should be equipped with helical blades. These mowers don’t provide impressive results if used to cut grass taller than 2.5”, so you will probably have to cut the grass more frequently.
Desired Features of the Cordless Lawn Mowers
1. Adjustable Handle
Cutting the grass is not easy nor fun, so it is essential to choose a tool that can make this operation as easy as possible. In choosing a cordless lawn mower, therefore, opt for a model with an adjustable handle, so you can fit it to your own height. Assuming a comfortable posture while pushing the device will make things easier for you.
2. Suitable Size
Once you have assessed the size of your garden, choose a mower that is suitable for you. A big mower could be difficult to maneuver in tight spaces. At the same time, if the mower is too small, you will be forced to lose time cutting the grass in all the corners of the garden. The footprint of the mower should also be decided after assessing the available storage space. However, the cordless models are fairly compact and often equipped with foldable handles.
3. Blade Adjustment
Lawn mowers generally have the blades already adjusted to cut the grass at standard dimensions. Even if you will probably prefer using them as they are, a mower with adjustable blades is more versatile and will allow you to change the cutting height if needed.
4. Grass Collection Container
Many manufacturers provide their mowers with grass collection containers. There are two popular types of containers: plastic containers, which are typically attached to the device’s body, and mower bags that should be attached to the tool before starting the cutting operation.
5. Lithium-Ion Batteries
Although these models usually cost more than the ones with Ni-Cd batteries, they present the advantage of being more lightweight. In addition, the lifespan of Lithium-Ion batteries is longer and they produce similar power as the Ni-Cd batteries.
The decision of purchasing a cordless lawn mower can also be driven not only by the ease of use but also by the environmental considerations. In fact, these lawn mowers are powered by recharging batteries, being an ecological version of the mowers powered by electric current or gasoline.
The cordless lawn mowers are also silent, an aspect you will definitely appreciate especially if the grass cutting operation requires an hour or two of time.
However, once you finished the grass cutting operation, you should dedicate a little time to clean the mower. You should remove all the grass that remained attached to the blades and empty the container from any residue.
Also remember that the cordless lawn mowers, as all the mowers, require a regular maintenance of the body, blades, and motor. In this way, you can increase the lifespan of the device and enjoy the convenience of your cordless lawn mower for a long time.
As we already said, we reviewed some models of cordless lawn mowers. We chose what in our opinion are the best five models available on the market, and, after presenting all of them, we will announce which is the best cordless lawn mower available on the market.
Five Best Cordless Lawn Mower Reviews
#1 GreenWorks Pro 80V 21-Inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
#2 EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower
#3 BLACK+DECKER CM2040 Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower
#4 GreenWorks 2501302 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
#5 Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
1. GreenWorks Pro 80V 21-Inch Self-Propelled Cordless Lawn Mower
The GreenWorks Pro 80V is powerful, works beautifully on any type of lawn and needs little to no maintenance. The mower comes equipped with a 5.0 AH battery that can run up to 70 minutes when is fully charged. With so much time available, this mower could be a perfect choice for medium-sized or large lawns.In the purchasepackage is included a rapid charger, and if you need to change thebattery, the model is compatible with GBA80200, GBA80400, and GCH8040 battery models. The powerful brushless motor delivers an excellent performance and is more reliable compared with the gas-powered motors. Indeed, this lawn mower will not disappoint you.View price
Things We Liked
- Smart-Cut Technology: this feature enhances the performance and prolongs the running time of this equipment.
- Adjustable handle: this mower can work for you despite how short or tall you are. The adjustable handle has three available heights to suit your needs.
- Adjustable blades: the GreenWorks Pro 80V mower can work well on any type of lawn thanks to its adjustable blades. You can choose the most suitable cutting height from seven different options.
- Silent: this unit is very silent, so you will not be disturbed by the mower’s noise and you will also not disturb your neighbors.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Despite being an excellent product, many users complained about motor failure and poor customer service.
2. EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower
This EGO Power+ 20-Inch mower is great for small or medium-sized lawns, being powerful and having a deck that can fit perfectly into tight spaces. This mower comes with a 4.0 Ah 56V Lithium-Ion battery, but if you need more energy, know that the manufacturer produces batteries up to 7.5 Ah. The 20-inch deck allows you to mow the lawn quicker and more efficiently, while the LED headlights allow you to perform this operation at any time.This mower is also sturdy and features a weather resistant construction. For superior performance, this mower boasts a 3-in-1 function: mulching, rear bagging and lateral discharge. The unit is also quieter compared to the gas-powered mowers.View price
Things We Liked
- Convenient start button: you can forget about pulling a cord to start the mower. The EGO Power+ boasts a push-button start.
- Long cutting time: depending on the battery, the mower can work from 45 to 90 minutes, while the recharge time is about half an hour.
- Power indicator: this unit features a power indicator that will let you know when it’s time to recharge the battery.
- Foldable: if you don’t have a big storage space available, know that this mower is completely foldable for easier storage.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the mower seem to work excellent, there are many complaints about the performance of the batteries.
3. BLACK+DECKER CM2040 Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower, 20-Inch, 40-volt
Another mower we really like is this BLACK+DECKER CM2040 Lithium 3-in-1 Cordless Mower. This unit is equipped with two 40V Lithium batteries that provide sufficient energy for up to 45 minutes of mowing. However, it is worth mentioning that the mower works with only one battery at a time, so when one battery is completely drained you should replace it with the charged one.In the purchase package you will also find a 15-gallons grass bag and a regular charger for the batteries. This mower is also fairly lightweight and extremely easy to maneuver.View price
Things We Liked
- EDGEMAX Technology: this feature will allow you to cut the grass up to the edge. Combined with the 20-inch deck you will be able to mow your lawn fast and easy.
- AutoSense Technology: a real lifesaver for your batteries, this feature allows the mower to determine the thickness of the grass and to adjust the power accordingly. This will conserve the power and will eventually increase the functioning time.
- 6 cutting heights adjustments:to suit any type of lawn, the mower is provided with 6 possible cutting heights.
- Large grass collection bag: this mower comes with a 15-gallon grass collection bag made of nylon so you can easily see the filling level.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The batteries have a long charging time, of about 60 minutes. This is quite long and might limit you a lot.
4. GreenWorks 2501302 G-MAX 40V 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
Another mower from GreenWorks that deserves your attention is this GreenWorks G-MAX 19-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower. This mower has a 19-inch deck being more suitable for small lawns. However, the 40V Lithium-Ion battery provides sufficient energy for cutting any type of grass.Similar to many GreenWorks models, this mower is also compatible with other batteries. The steel deck boasts a 3-in-1 design, offering mulching capability, side discharge, and rear bagging.View price
Things We Liked
- Adjustable cutting height: this mower boasts a single lever 7-position height adjustment that ranges from 1.25” to 3.5”.
- Lightweight: if you have a terraced garden, this lightweight mower might be the right option for you.
- Smart-Cut Technology: the power consume is automatically adjusted based on the thickness of the grass. In this way, this mower is able to deliver impressive results.
- Battery compatibility: if you also have other GreenWorks tools, you can successfully use the same battery for all the units.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Unfortunately, the battery and the charger are not included in the purchase package. So, unless you already own another GreenWorks tool, you will have to deal with additional costs.
5. Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower
The Sun Joe iON16LM 40 V 16-Inch Cordless Lawn Mower boasts a compact design and a small 16-inch deck, being ideal for small and narrow lawns. The unit comes equipped with a 40V Lithium-Ion battery and with a charger. Included in the purchase package is also a 9.25-gallon grass bag.This cordless mower features a brushless motor that increases the battery’s efficiency, optimizes the motor’s performance and also increases the motor’s life. In addition to these great features, the mower’s blade also has 6 cutting height adjustments.View price
Things We Liked
- Compact: with its 16-inch deck and compact design, this mower is extremely easy to maneuver in tight spaces, being ideal for narrow or terraced gardens.
- Safety features: this mower is equipped with a safety circuit that requires the use of a key to start the motor. In addition, it also has a safety switch that must be pressed before starting the motor. With these safety measures, it would be really difficult to accidentally start the mower and the unit is also difficult to start by children.
- Long warranty: this mower has a full two-year warranty.
- Powerful motor: the 600W motor is powerful enough to cut efficiently all types of grass.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Unfortunately, this mower doesn’t have any mulch or side discharge options. In addition, the grass collection bag is rather small and fills up quickly.
Conclusions and Final Pick
As you can see, there are various types of cordless lawn mowers, some suitable for larger lawns, others for the small ones. While the final choice will depend on the size of your garden, budget and brand preferences, we believe that the best cordless lawn mower available on the market is the EGO Power+ 20-Inch 56-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Lawn Mower.
The main reason that stood behind this decision is the versatility of this excellent lawn mower. Equipped with a 4.0 Ah 56V Lithium-Ion battery, this mower can cut your grass for up to 45 minutes. But the best part is that you can increase the capacity of the battery and the functioning time by simply replacing the included battery with the 7.5 Ah version produced by the same manufacturer.
By doing so, you will transform a mower originally ideal for small or medium-sized lawns into a mower perfect for a large garden.
You will also be able to mow your lawn at a time suitable for you since the efficient headlights will allow you to perform this operation even in the evening. The unit is also weather resistant, silent and fairly lightweight.
The power indicator and the 3-in-1 function are further features that helped this mower to be classified as the winner. In addition, you will not have to worry about the storage space. The unit is completely foldable and has a very small footprint when folded.
The manufacturer could improve the battery’s lifespan, but the overall performances of this unit lead us to consider it the best cordless lawn mower available on the market.