A garden bench is an indispensable protagonist of the urban furnishings. There are dozens of models of benches suitable for our private outdoor spaces.
Made of the most various materials such as wrought iron, wood, or resin, garden benches come in all shapes and styles.
Characterized by a minimalist style or a traditional vintage charm, garden benches are available at very affordable prices and boast a myriad of different technical specifications.
If the comfort and the strength are two fundamental features, it is equally important to choose a garden bench that integrates into your environment from an aesthetic point of view. This guide will show you how to choose the best garden bench.
Don’t feel like reading? Click on the links below to see our selection of the best garden benches on the market.
|The Keter Eden Storage Bench||$$$$|
|Patio Park Garden Bench||$|
|Mosaic Powder Coated Cast Iron Garden Bench With Ivy Design Backrest||$$|
|Best Choice Products Patio Garden Bench||$$$$$|
|Best Choice Products 50" Patio Garden Bench||$$$|
- 1 How To Choose A Garden Bench
- 2 The Best Garden Bench Reviews
- 2.1 1. The Keter Eden Storage Bench
- 2.2 2. Patio Park Garden Bench
- 2.3 3. Mosaic Powder Coated Cast Iron Garden Bench With Ivy Design Backrest
- 2.4 4. Best Choice Products Patio Garden Bench
- 2.5 5. Best Choice Products 50″ Patio Garden Bench
- 3 Conclusion & Final Pick
How To Choose A Garden Bench
Garden benches are some of the most versatile outdoor furniture. They come in different styles and sizes, vary in shape and colors, and also in the materials they are made of. To create a perfect harmony in your space you should be able to choose a garden bench that adds value to the property.
The first thing to consider when choosing a garden bench is the material it is made of. The choice will certainly have an impact on the item’s price but it will also say a lot about your aesthetic taste.
The cheapest models of benches are made of plastic or resin. This material is particularly durable but it deprives the object of the aesthetic pleasure. In fact, there are few plastic garden benches that can be considered beautiful.
For this reason, this type of benches is more suitable to use near a swimming pool rather than in a garden.
The story changes in the case of wrought iron and wood. These two materials can be forged and sculpted, shaped in almost any way and are almost always aesthetically pleasing. These benches can be simple or enriched with decorative elements. They can follow minimalist lines or baroque motifs.
In this case, the choice is purely subjective and it should be made based on the layout of your landscape to match the rest of the garden.
The only objective considerations to make before choosing a wrought iron or wood bench is the environment.
For example, iron is easily ruined by saltwater, so you should avoid it if your house is located near the sea. Wood, on the other hand, also suffers in particularly moist environments and it should be avoided in areas known for their heavy rains.
To make the life or wrought iron or wood benches longer, you can treat them with special varnishes and solutions.
However, if the area where you live is still not suitable for these materials, a great alternative is to consider a garden bench made of stone.
Another important thing to consider when choosing a garden bench is the style. As already mentioned, the style should match your décor like a glove.
In a modern garden, benches made of wood or concrete are the most suitable. Opt for straight, minimalist line and keep decorations to a minimum.
In a sophisticated, elegant garden, for example in an English or Italian style garden, you can opt for a garden bench made of wrought iron. In this case, you can choose benches with fancy decorations or even benches made of both wrought iron and wood.
A classical or shabby chic garden requires a wooden bench. Opt for classic lines and paint the bench either vintage green or white.
A countryside landscape also requires a bench made of wood, although stone could also work well in some cases.
If your property is really sophisticated and opulent, you could opt for a bench made of precious materials such as marble. In this case, choose a simple bench without backrest and with wavy shapes.
Lastly, an important aspect to consider is the price of the bench. Depending on your budget you will be able to choose any bench you like or more economic items. However, remember that a stylish and reliable garden bench doesn’t have to cost a fortune.
On the market, there are numerous manufacturers and small companies that propose lines of awesome garden benches at more than affordable prices.
If your budget is really tight, a great solution to consider is to buy raw material and make a garden bench yourself. You could even use recycled wood, such as pallets, for this purpose. But regardless of your choice, remember that a garden bench will always add a touch of coziness to your space.
The Best Garden Bench Reviews
1. The Keter Eden Storage Bench
If you are the owner of an attractive classical garden or of a countryside cottage that needs a garden bench on the porch, then the best bench to consider is a classical one made of wood-like resin. If it comes with an included storage solution, things are even better.his is the case of the Keter Eden Storage Bench, a wonderful piece of furniture that is both attractive and functional.Check Price on Amazon
The bench is made of paneled wood-like resin and provides a spacious outdoor storage solution. The bench blends perfectly in most types of landscapes and it is roomy enough to accommodate two adults.
On the other hand, the manufacturer proposes a whole line of outdoor furnishings that match perfectly with the Eden bench. These include a deck box, a prep table and a waste bin, all characterized by the same flawless design that pairs well with both rustic and minimalist environments.
Things We Liked
- 70-gallon storage box: the bench doubles as an outdoor storage box with a capacity of seven gallons. The leak-proof construction will keep your belongings dry, but remember that the bench is not waterproof.
- Sophisticated design: thanks to the straight lines and neutral colors, the bench can complement all types of décors.
- Easy to maintain: the bench is made of UV-protected resin, maintaining its color and characteristics in time. For maintenance, it is sufficient to wipe the bench with a damp cloth as often as necessary.
- Lockable lid: you might want to keep gardening equipment away from curious kids, or you might just feel that is better to lock the lid of the bench. Regardless of the situation, the lid of the box is lockable.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The instructions provided to assemble the bench are complicated and hard to follow. The bench also doesn’t resist well to excessive weights.
2. Patio Park Garden Bench
Another garden bench that fits well in most décors is the Patio Park Garden Bench by FDW. The bench has a two-seat capacity and is made of steel and cast iron. The backrest is decorated with a beautiful intricate design and the powder coated finish makes it an ideal choice in many contexts.This bench can add true value to a classical or shabby chic garden, although it can also blend well in a countryside environment.Check Price on Amazon
The bench resists well to weather elements; nevertheless, if you live in a region with harsh winters, I’d recommend moving the bench on the porch from late autumn till spring.
In addition, the bench boasts a very durable steel frame designed to endure heavyweights. Thanks to this characteristic, your bench will last for a really long time requiring little to no maintenance.
Things We Liked
- Neutral design: the bench boasts a neutral design and it fits like a glove in almost all gardens. It can also make a lovely terrace bench too.
- Easy to clean: to clean the bench you’ll only need a damp cloth and maybe mild soap. No other maintenance is required.
- Expert assembly: you can choose to assemble the bench yourself or an expert could do it for it. This will add up to the price of the bench though.
- 400 lbs. weight capacity: the bench can easily withstand the weight of two robust adults without problems.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The bench imitates wrought iron but some details are not quite finished as they should. Nevertheless, this bench offers an incredible value for the price.
3. Mosaic Powder Coated Cast Iron Garden Bench With Ivy Design Backrest
The Mosaic Powder Coated Cast Iron Garden Bench With Ivy Design Backrest would probably be a better option if you like the idea of cast iron but would prefer a more traditional patio bench design.This bench is made of cast iron and it has a powder-coated steel frame that gives an incredible durability to the construction. The bench comes with all the hardware required for the assembly and expert assembly is also available for an additional cost.Check Price on Amazon
The bench has the perfect dimensions to fit two robust adults perfectly and it comes in black color. Although it matches with all environments, the bench can be easily painted in a different color to match with a shabby chic environment.
The artistic details on the backrest, on the other hand, match very well with other garden furniture such as a rocking chair manufactured by the same company.
Things We Liked
- Versatility: this garden bench matches perfectly in many contexts and it can be used both outdoors and indoors. You can place in in the garden, on a terrace, or even in the patio.
- Steel frame: the bench is made of cast iron reinforced by a steel frame designed to add stability to the structure. The bench will last for a long time.
- Ivy cast iron backrest: ivy motifs pair well with both traditional and romantic gardens and it can even blend in a countryside landscape.
- Withstand weather elements: the bench is weather resistant and easy to maintain. Minimal cleaning is required and it is sufficient to wipe the bench with a damp cloth.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The manufacturer attempted to give this bench a vintage look by painting it in copper before adding the black. The result is an awkwardly looking color that can be easily restored with spray paint.
4. Best Choice Products Patio Garden Bench
In many cases, cast iron is a valid and cheaper alternative to wrought iron. Although an expert eye might notice the difference, if you want an affordable solution to decorate a romantic garden or a classical landscape, then the Best Choice Products Patio Garden Bench might be a great alternative.This bench is simply beautiful and it presents a simple, flawless design. Traditional decorations such as iron roses enhance the look of the bench while the lines fit perfectly in many contexts.Check Price on Amazon
The bench is made of cast iron and it has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. This is much more compared to similar benches while the overall dimensions are also larger than average.
The only question mark about this bench is the color. The manufacturer advertises the color as antique copper yet it gives the impression of a rusted old bench. I’m not sure if this was the manufacturer’s aspiration, yet the color can be simply changed with inexpensive spray paint.
Things We Liked
- Beautiful motif: the bench is simple yet beautiful thanks to the delicate decorative elements that resemble wrought iron really closely.
- Sturdy and comfortable: the bench has a weight capacity of 500 lbs. and it is spacious enough to fit comfortable two adults.
- Endures weather: this outdoor garden bench is designed to endure all weather elements and it features a strong base that will not decay for a long time.
- Affordable: for a bench of this size and with these characteristics, the item is more than affordable and it can beautify a wide range of spaces.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The color choice might not be the most inspired. However, this is a subjective matter and many consumers are thrilled with its vintage aspect.
5. Best Choice Products 50″ Patio Garden Bench
Our last selection is the Best Choice Products 50'' Patio Garden Bench, an outdoor furniture designed to withstand all weather elements and to complement almost all types of garden décors.The bench is made of cast iron and reinforced with a steel frame for durability. Thanks to its reliable make, the bench will last for many years. Apart from the construction, the bench is more spacious compared to many similar models.Check Price on Amazon
With its over 50 inches of length, the bench can easily accommodate two robust people. The assembly is fairly easy to make and there is even an option to ask for expert assembly.
Moreover, the bench is available in three color choices that include bronze, red, and black.
Things We Liked
- Beautiful floral design: the backrest is decorated with an attractive floral design that matches with many types of landscapes, from rustic to elegant.
- Easy assembly: the bench comes with all hardware required to put it together and with detailed instructions that make assembly a breeze.
- Durable: the bench has a steel frame designed to add strength to the object. Moreover, the bench is designed to withstand the weather elements.
- Color choice: whether it’s red, bronze, or black, you will be able to match the bench with the overall design of your outdoor space.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Compared to similar products the bench is a little bit expensive. If you are budget conscious, then this might be a problem.
Conclusion & Final Pick
Choosing the best garden bench on the market was far from easy. The design of a garden bench is often subjective and it is difficult to find a piece of furniture that matches all tastes.
Nonetheless, after considering various aspects from both an aesthetic and functional view, it seems that the best garden bench available on the market is the Keter Eden Storage Bench. This bench boasts a neutral design that matches perfectly with almost all gardens.
Whether you want to place in a modern environment, a countryside landscape or in an elegant garden, there will always be a way to add value to the décor with this simple yet attractive furniture.
Another great advantage of this bench is the large storage space it provides. You will be able to use it to store gardening tools and other essentials, such as your gardening apron or hat.
The bench is part of a line of outdoor furnishings and, for a complete décor, I’d recommend choosing the same line for all the other elements.
The only thing I’d change is the material. The wood-like resin is great but true wood would have probably been more stylish.
Apart from that, this garden bench has countless benefits and it is certainly a piece of furniture to consider next time you want to redesign your outdoor space.