The garden can be described as a pocket of Eden for both the hobbyist and passionate gardener to tend and enjoy. But to care for our piece of heaven, we first need to protect ourselves from the harmful UV rays. That’s why wearing a gardening hat is a must.
We can all agree that it is nice to be out in the garden when the sun is shining but we can easily lose track of time leading to that uncomfortable ailment; sunburn. If you want to check our selection without scrolling through the whole article, use the links below to jump to the best gardening hat reviews.
Sunburn affects more than two thirds of the population each year and the number of cases is growing. Making sure you are well protected from harmful UV rays is paramount before setting out on the path to be the next Monty Don or Charlie Dimmock. This is why all gardeners should have a gardening hat.
Wearing a gardening hat that is both well designed and effective at protecting you from harmful rays can make finding the right one a challenge.
In this article, we address why you should wear a gardening hat and most importantly how to choose a hat to suit your purpose. There is also a concise list of gardening hats currently on the market to help find the right one for you, so you can spend less time searching and more time outside.
- AT A GLANCE: Our Top Picks for 4 Cycle Trimmers
- Why Should You Buy A Gardening Hat?
- How to Choose The Right Gardening Hat For You
- Sun Protection
- Easy To Store And Clean
- Best Gardening Hat Reviews
- 1. Sloggers 442DB01 Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat Click
- 2. Lenikis Unisex Outdoor Activities UV Protecting Sun Hat with Neck Flap
- 3. Sloggers 4471DB Classic Cotton Hat with Wind Lanyard
- 4. L & M Sun Hat Headwear Extreme Condition UPF 45+
- 5. Sun Blocker Women’s Sun Hat
AT A GLANCE: Our Top Picks for 4 Cycle Trimmers
- Our Top Pick: Husqvarna 324L Straight Shaft 4-Stroke Gas String Trimmer
- Husqvarna 224L 25cc 4-Stroke Straight Shaft Gas Trimmer
- Ryobi RY34420 30cc Four-Cycle Gas Powered String Trimmer
- Troy-Bilt TB575 EC 29cc 4-Cycle 17-Inch Straight Shaft Trimmer
- Cub Cadet 30 cc 4-Cycle Gas Split-Boom Curved Shaft String Trimmer
Why Should You Buy A Gardening Hat?
The most important thing to consider when searching for a hat for this purpose is that not all hats are suitable for gardening. Some of you may even be wondering why you cannot just use that baseball cap you like to wear out and about.
But there is a very good reason why a gardening hat is a much safer and practical option. During the hottest part of the day, the sun is directly overhead and at its most harmful. A simple cap may offer shade for your eyes and face, but it is not going to protect your neck or shoulders.
Also, the material does not offer the breathability you need to be comfortable while at work. A gardening hat benefits from a wide brim, sometimes with a neck flap to offer additional protection and they are designed with breathability in mind to prevent overheating. When used in conjunction with sunscreen the gardening hat boasts superior sun protection.
Gardening hats also benefit from being able to withstand a good amount of stress. Most hats on the market have been made so that they are foldable for storage, and can endure a vigorous spin in the washing machine while retaining their desired shape.
How to Choose The Right Gardening Hat For You
A gardening hat should be able to commit to three important factors which you should always consider before purchasing. These are:
Is the hat designed for comfort? Would you be able to wear the hat for prolonged periods without experiencing discomfort or irritation?
If the answer to these questions is yes, then the hat might be the right one for you.
Does the gardening hat offer suitable sun protection? Does it comprise of a specialized brim or flap to prevent sun damage to the face, neck or shoulders? Is it made of a thin or thick material that lets light pass through?
A positive answer to all these questions is essential if you want to invest in a suitable gardening hat.
Easy To Store And Clean
Is the hat easy to store or clean? Gardening can be messy, therefore the cleaning ease is important. If the hat loses its shape from being washed or stored then it loses its suitability for comfort. Being able to maintain all three functions after this is what makes a gardening hat superior.
If a hat you like the look of is unable to meet any one of these three specifications then it will not be suitable. Now that you have a good idea of what to look for and what to avoid, here are five gardening hats currently on the market which have been reviewed and assessed against these three specifications.
Best Gardening Hat Reviews
1. Sloggers 442DB01 Women’s Wide Brim Sun Hat Click
Sloggers are a well established brand and manufacturer of men and women hats that has developed a variety of gardening hats that offer both style and practicality. With a range of hats on the offer, this was one of the two hats by Sloggers that stood out.The hat would be most suitable for the hobbyist gardener seeking occasional periods in the garden.Check Price on Amazon
This hat is made from a light, breathable weave that allows for sufficient airflow to the scalp in hot weather, therefore preventing overheating. Meanwhile, the wide circular brim ensures the hat provides adequate sun protection. The weave also allows the hat some flexion thus making it suitable for storing or folding.
Lastly, the hat comes in a range of colors that make the hat a stylish as well as a practical statement.
Things We Liked
- Lightweight: the fine braiding gives this hat superior comfort and breathability as it allows air to pass through the holes in between the weave to the head. This prevents overheating and makes it comfortable to wear in hot weather.
- Large shadow throw: the classic wide brim on this hat has been designed to cast a decent amount of shade over the face and shoulders, allowing the wearer to work in bright conditions and in full sun for a decent amount of time.
- Foldable: this hat can be easily stored and is able to withstand a fair amount of stress without losing its original shape. This means the hat won’t take up vast amounts of space when not in use. It also is beneficial as storing won’t compromise the design or practicality of the hat.
- Wind lanyard: the additional feature of the lanyard allows the wearer to work in breezy conditions which means that this hat is potentially suitable for more than just seasonal use.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Not suitable for wet conditions: while stylish and attractive to look at, the hat is not waterproof and would not be suitable for use in all weathers, limiting it to use in sunny conditions only.
2. Lenikis Unisex Outdoor Activities UV Protecting Sun Hat with Neck Flap
Lenikis have designed a one-fits-all gardening hat which is suitable in all weather conditions. Made from 50+ UPF grade polyester and sporting a flap to cover the ears, neck and back of the head, this hat boasts superior sun protection.
This is why this gardening hat would be suitable for both hobbyists and passionate gardeners. Also, the fine mesh on the protective flap is designed to allow air to circulate whilst blocking harmful UV rays.In combination with the wide brim on the front, the hat throws a good amount of shade and also helps to hold the flap away from the side of the face to avoid irritation.
Things We Liked
- Lightweight: the polyester is both breathable and enhances comfort when worn. It also improves air circulation and helps to minimise sweating.
- One-size-fits-all: the top of the hat features an elasticated toggle so that the hat can stretch to fit any head size and shape.
- Sun protection flap: while most hats only protect the face and top of the head, this hat offers additional protection to the neck, back of the head and the ears.
- All weathers: an adjustable lanyard that fits under the chin allows for this hat to be worn even in windy conditions.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The fine mesh on the sun flap is susceptible to catching and tearing.
3. Sloggers 4471DB Classic Cotton Hat with Wind Lanyard
This Unisex hat by Sloggers highlights that this manufacturer accommodates all. This is a practical, simplified design that features an adjustable crown and lanyard to keep it fastened to the head during breezy conditions. Made from cotton, this lightweight material is the champion of breathable fabrics. It is very easy to clean. And furthermore, Sloggers have incorporated vents along both sides of the hat to increase circulation to the head. This hat would be perfect for both the hobbyist and passionate gardener alike.Check Price on Amazon
Things We Liked
- Breathable lining and outer: cotton is the supreme fabric choice for maximum comfort and breathability. It allows air to circulate without impeding the ability to protect you from the sun.
- Interior toggle fastening: the hat features a fully adjustable interior band with a sliding grip toggle around the top of the hat to allow for it to fit any size head.
- Surround brim: the brim throws shade around the neck, back of the neck and face offering a decent amount of sun protection while not impeding on visibility or practicality for gardening.
- Multi-purpose: as is standard with most gardening hats, the lanyard with an adjustable toggle allows this hat to be worn in all weather conditions and in a variety of settings.
Things We Didn’t Like
- No additional protection: in comparison to some gardening hats on the market, this hat does not have a sun flap and therefore cannot offer sun protection to the back or sides of the head. Caution would need to be taken if wearing this hat for prolonged periods.
4. L & M Sun Hat Headwear Extreme Condition UPF 45+
L & M have taken into consideration all desired qualities of a gardening hat and designed this durable cotton hat that features all-round sun protection and comfort.Made from 100% Cotton, this hat is fully foldable for storage and cleaning purposes, while also offering optimum comfort when in hot or humid conditions and the additional vents on the side panels of the hat further increase air flow.
The band of the hat is elasticated at the back to offer scope for most head sizes and its gender neutral design means that it is suitable for both men and women. The hat also benefits from a sun protection flap to offer further protection to the wearer against the sun.In conjunction with the material, this hat has a UPF 45+ rating so you can be confident you are well protected. Lastly, the manufacturer has also provided adequate choice and individuality with a variety of colors and patterns available.
Things We Liked
- 100% soft cotton:cotton cannot be beaten on its durability and breathability. This hat is both highly comfortable as well as hygienic.
- Adjustable:an adjustable toggle at the back of the hat allows the band of the hat to be lengthened or shortened according to the size the wearer requires.
- Colorful:the options available to the customer in terms of colour and pattern allows for a real sense of individuality and uniqueness to the wearer.
- Machine Washable:to maintain the aesthetic appeal of the hat, the manufacturer has ensured that by using a cotton inner and outer the hat has the durability to retain its shape and texture.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Elastic toggle:while elastic has been used to offer stretch for adjustments to most head sizes, it has a tendency to perish after frequent washes. However, it can potentially be replaced with a length of elastic or cotton string.
5. Sun Blocker Women’s Sun Hat
The last gardening hat being reviewed is this pretty women’s sun blocker. It offers style and individuality with its adjustable ribbon fastening whilst not compromising on sun protection and comfort. The manufacturer has perfectly incorporated the three main elements of comfort, practicality, and ability to store or clean. Made from UV protection micro-fiber, the hat has been rated with 100 SPF and UPF 50+ giving the wearer the confidence to venture out in full sun. Incorporated with sunscreen, a high level of UV protection can be achieved.
Lastly, the interchangeable ribbon and available colored fabrics offer the opportunity to find your own style and preferred look.
Things We Liked
- Circumference: the scope of the brim offers excellent coverage for the face side of the head and particularly the back of the neck and shoulders.
- Retains its shape: this hat can be stored and folded without damaging the structure or shape of the hat. Therefore, storing it will not alter its specifications and can be used again and again with confidence.
- Design: the manufacturer has chosen a flattering shape and curvature that frames the wearer’s face while also improving shade throw and protection from UV.
- Aesthetic appeal: we all enjoy making things our own and by offering a hat that can have changeable features, the wearer can opt for a color or pattern that suits them.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Breathability: while the microfibres used offer good protection from the sun, they are not as breathable as their cotton counterparts and the wearer may potentially experience some discomfort if worn for long periods as ventilation has not been provided.
Having reviewed a selection of gardening hats, the best gardening hat has to be the L & M Sun Hat Headwear Extreme Condition UPF 45+.
There is no doubt that other manufacturers have developed functional and colorful options as well, but in terms of the purpose of the hat, practicality is most important. For this reason, the L & M Sun Hat Headwear Extreme Condition UPF 45+ stands out as being the best at offering optimum protection, comfort, and durability.
Firstly, the hat has been designed using 100% Soft Cotton for comfort and ventilation, but the manufacturer has exceeded expectations for breathability by adding in additional vents on the side panels of the hat. The material is also fully washable and will not lose its shape. While the elastic toggle could perish over time, the hat has maximized its target audience, by being fully adjustable for all head sizes and shapes.
Having acknowledged this minor issue, the L & M Sun Hat Headwear Extreme Condition UPF 45+ stands out as being a long lasting, hardwearing and comfortable option for the hobbyist and passionate gardener. And as an additional plus, this adaptable hat comes in a variety of colors and styles that give great freedom of choice.
Time to don a gardening hat and grab a trowel. The garden awaits!