One of the most important things when gardening is protecting your feet during the work. It takes only a moment of distraction to find yourself badly wounded. A forgotten tool with a sharp tip, a weight that can slip from your hands, a slippery or damp terrain, are all potentially dangerous situations that threaten your stability and safety.
For this reason, when caring for our garden or lawn, it is indispensable to wear specially designed gardening shoes. If you want to jump directly to our best gardening shoes for women, use the links in the table below.
A thing almost all gardening shoes have in common is the rubber construction, usually treated with some water repellent substances to ensure a good stability even on the dampest soil. Regarding the models, there are plenty to choose from depending on the gardening activity you want to do and also on the season. There are gardening shoes, clogs, sneakers, or boots.
And that’s not all. Most manufacturers know that women also care about the aesthetics of their shoes. Therefore, many companies designed and launched on the market fashionable models of gardening shoes for women that are both protective and beautiful
Let’s see how to choose the best gardening shoes for women, and then have a look at our selection to choose the best model for you.
- Types Of Gardening
- How To Choose The Gardening Shoes
- Best Gardening Shoes For Women
- 1. Yellow Chicken Sloggers Waterproof Garden Shoes
- 2. Amoji Unisex Garden Clogs Shoes
- 3. Muck Boots Women’s Breezy Low Boot
- 4. Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden Shoe
- 5. Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden Ankle Boots
- Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Gardening
Gardening shoes come in many colors and shapes. Apart from an aesthetic consideration, when choosing the best gardening shoes you must consider the reason why you need them.
Are you going to wear your gardening shoes to mow the lawn? Or to pot some plants? Are you going to wear your gardening shoes to water the vegetable garden? For all these activities there are different types of gardening shoes you should wear.
- Gardening Clogs: clogs are extremely popular. They are slip-on shoes, easy to put on and take off, they are usually made of only rubber, therefore really easy to clean and maintain and they come in every possible color. Clogs are great gardening shoes during the summer and whenever you have to take care of light chores, such as potting some veggies or transferring the plants from indoors into the garden. However, clogs are unsafe to wear during the rainy seasons or during activities such as mowing the lawn or trimming the grass.
- Gardening Slip-On Shoes: the slip-on gardening shoes are very similar to the clogs with the difference that the heel is not open and you will have to put on an actual shoe. The benefit of these shoes over the clogs is that the foot is more secured inside the shoe and the danger of losing the shoe in a really muddy terrain or while caring for your lawn is minimal.
- Gardening Boots: designed for the rainy or cold seasons, the gardening boots are also made of rubber and come in all colors and shapes. For early autumn, when the temperatures are still warm but the terrain is saturated with water, the ankle boots might be a perfect choice. If you have to deal with extreme mud, or for those days when you have to care for your garden despite a heavy rain, the tall boots that cover almost all the leg up to the knee might be a better solution.
How To Choose The Gardening Shoes
By now you might have decided what type of gardening shoes you need, but apart from the type, there are also other things to consider before purchasing. Let’s see what to check.
- Comfort: the first thing to check when shopping for gardening shoes is the comfort. Choose the models you like, put them on and see how they feel. As mentioned, almost all gardening shoes are made of rubber, therefore don’t wait for them to get loose if you bought a smaller size – it won’t happen. Instead, buy those shoes that feel comfortable from the moment you put them on for the first time.
- Safety: the main reason why you need gardening shoes in the first place if for your own safety. Aesthetics is important, but it is more important to pick a shoe that can protect you from the various hazards you are exposed to while gardening. To protect you from sharp tools, choose a shoe with a wide sole. If the terrain is mostly damp, choose a shoe that can protect you from getting in contact with the mud.
- Waterproof: made of rubber doesn’t mean waterproof. A frequent mistake women make is choosing clogs with different patterns that allow water and mud to get into the shoe. High-quality gardening shoes shouldn’t have any holes in them but they should have interior lines that will keep your feet dry and at a comfortable temperature even on the hottest days.
- Easy to put on and take off: gardening shoes should be easy to put on and take off but they shouldn’t be loose. However, try to choose a simple model, with no laces or buckles and that is fairly easy to put on at all times.
- Design: we know, the looks are really important. Fortunately, many manufacturers have their lines of splendid gardening shoes for women characterized by attractive and fun patterns and that are beautiful to wear even outside of the garden on the rainiest days.
- Easy to clean: lastly, no matter what type of gardening shoes you need, the most important thing is the ability to clean them easily. Remember, you will wear these shoes mostly when there is mud outside, therefore you should be able to clean them with water coming from a gardening hose with no biggie.
With all this in mind, let’s have a look at the top five gardening shoes for women available on the market.
Best Gardening Shoes For Women[wptb id="7245" not found ]
1. Yellow Chicken Sloggers Waterproof Garden Shoes
If you are looking for the perfect gardening shoes to brighten up a rainy day, these beautiful Yellow Chicken gardening shoes by Sloggers will certainly cheer you up. A part of the Chicken collection, these shoes are made of PVC and Olefin, a compound made of plastic molecules.Both materials guarantee the waterproofness of the shoes. The exterior of the shoes is made of PVC and it is characterized by a thick black sole and a bright yellow glossy toe cap decorated with attractive chickens. We can only say that these shoes are perfect for gardening and you will be more than proud in showing the shoes to everybody instead of hiding them behind a door.The interior of the shoes is made of Olefin, a synthetic fiber that is resistant to mildew and chemicals, and waterproof. As such, you will be able to clean your shoes with ease and not worry about water going into the shoes as they will dry out extremely fast.View price
Things We Liked
- Arch & heel support: to provide excellent balance and support, but also for safety reasons, these shoes are manufactured with a molded arch and a built-in heel support.
- Excellent traction: the PVC sole has an impressive grip that provides an excellent traction on muddy or damp terrains.
- Available in all women’s sizes: the manufacturer produces this model in all women’s shoe sizes, therefore you will certainly be able to find the one that fits you.
- Easy to clean: there is no hassle in getting the mud off those shoes. The glossy surface acts as a repellent for mud and water and cleaning them with a garden hose is a breeze.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The manufacturer doesn’t produce this shoes in half sizes and it seems that the interior sole designed to address this issue is not of much help.
2. Amoji Unisex Garden Clogs Shoes
In general, gardening shoes with perforations in them are a no-no, but these wonderful clogs are an exception. Designed for the hottest days, these gardening shoes will fit like a glove when you’ll go to “check your plants”.What impresses about these shoes is their lively, attractive color that characterizes both the sole and the toe cap. For a perfect fit, these clogs boast a heel protection that secures the shoe to the foot. Furthermore, the clogs are light like a feather and are compressible, therefore you will be able to store them with ease or just pack them and take them with you on your trips.Thanks to the wide design, these clogs are really easy to put on and take off. You will be able to use them as clogs by simply ignoring the upper fabric, or stretch the fabric on your heel and transform the clogs into perfectly fitting shoes.View price
Things We Liked
- Quick drain sole: the anti-slip EVA outsole boasts an excellent grip and a great traction on any kind of surfaces, including the most slippery terrains.
- Lightweight: we all know that gardening shoes can be rather heavy, but this is certainly not the case of these clogs. Extremely lightweight, you will feel barefoot while your feet will be protected.
- Compressible: suitable for a wide range of activities, these shoes are compressible and can be easily packed.
- Lovely colors: these clogs come in different colors, therefore you will be able to match the color to your style. Being unisex, you will even be able to buy a pair for your hubby so you can wear matching shoes.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The sizing chart is not always accurate and the stated size is sometimes too small.
3. Muck Boots Women’s Breezy Low Boot
If Flower Power and the 60s attract you, then these Breezy low boots from Muck Boots might be the perfect gardening shoes for you.Characterized by a beautiful pattern and lovely colors, these shoes also have excellent technical characteristics.To begin with, the excellent grip and traction on any type of terrain, the perfect fit ensured by the protective heel and the cool lining material that makes these shoes perfect to wear regardless of the weather. Apart from this, the manufacturer produces the same model as a mid-size boot, so you will be able to wear the same pattern regardless of the season.View price
Things We Liked
- Hippie design: the flowery pattern inspires lightheartedness, the gardening shoes are fun and beautiful to wear and they can be used on many occasions, even as casual shoes.
- EVA rubber soles: the soles and midsoles of these shoes are made of high-quality EVA, delivering a superior traction on all types of terrains.
- 100% waterproof: these shoes can be worn on any type of terrain and regardless of the weather without worrying about getting your feet wet. They are also very easy to clean.
- More than gardening: the shoes are fitted for many types of activities, including pet care, outdoor sporting or equine.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Although the shoes are designed for heavy use, it seems that the sole wears pretty fast and loses its waterproof characteristics.
4. Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden Shoe
Sloggers brand is famous for its stylish gardening shoes suitable to wear on the most various occasions, and these rain and garden shoes for women are nothing but the proof that the manufacturer really cares about the design.These All-Day-Comfort shoes are made from PVC and Olefin, two waterproof materials used for the exterior and interior parts of the shoes. The interior has an Olefin fabric liner that provides superior comfort while it is extremely resistant.The sole and toe cap are made of PVC and are characterized by a beautiful combination of colors and patterns, the glossy finish making the shoes easy to clean.Apart from this, the manufacturer produces this model in a wide range of colors and patterns that you can match with your style.View price
Things We Liked
- Stylish: these gardening shoes are simply fashionable and are suitable to wear for gardening or leisure activities, not to mention that they can match any casual style.
- Superior comfort: the shoes provide excellent arch and heel support, keeping your feet safe at all times.
- Easy to clean: thanks to a waterproof exterior and interior, the shoes are easy to clean with a garden hose.
- Various styles: if you don’t like flowers, you will be able to choose from a variety of different patterns or even from plain colors, such as glossy black.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Unfortunately, the manufacturer doesn’t make these shoes in half sizes, therefore finding the perfect fit if you are not a full size can be tricky.
5. Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden Ankle Boots
If you are looking for a pair of fashionable shoes to wear all day long, not only for gardening purposes, these All-Day-Comfort rain and garden ankle boots from Sloggers might be the answer to your needs.With the same stylish pattern as the All-Day-Comfort shoes mentioned above, these beautiful boots are also made of PVC and Olefin. The exterior of the shoes is simply stylish, the ankle size boot presenting an elastic gored insert designed for an easy put on and take off.The boots are manufactured in two available colors and match the style with other All-Day-Comfort shoes and boots. Therefore, if you like the pattern, you will be able to choose the type of the shoes most adequate to your needs.View price
Things We Liked
- Superior comfort: the shoes provide excellent arch and heel support and distribute the weight of the body on the whole foot, for a superior comfort.
- Easy to clean: thanks to the waterproof materials, the shoes are really easy to clean with the help of a garden hose.
- Multiple styles: if you don’t like this pattern, the manufacturer produces this model in other colors and patterns.
- Multiple types: the All-Day-Comfort model is available as gardening shoes, ankle boots, and mid-height boots.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Just as the other Sloggers shoes, they sometimes are not true to size and women with half sizes will struggle to get a shoe that fits.
Conclusion & Final Pick
The gardening shoes don’t have to be unstylish and ugly. There are many models on the market that look good yet provide superior protection.
In our opinion, the best gardening shoes for women are the Sloggers Women’s Rain and Garden. These shoes come in multiple designs, they provide excellent support to the arch and heel, are completely waterproof, easy to put on and take off and are strikingly beautiful.
Apart from this, the manufacturer also produces a line of boots with a matching color and pattern, therefore you will be able to wear the same style throughout the year.
With these shoes, you will certainly won’t feel embarrassed if friends or family show up while you are caring for your plants, and the shoes come at an affordable price. Although getting the right size might be tricky in some cases, these gardening shoes really deserve a chance.