A cordless snow blower might not be suitable for heavy duty use, but it comes with many benefits. Most homeowners prefer it over the other types for a bunch of reasons. They are lightweight, reliable, portable, and environmental-friendly.
Wondering which is the best cordless snow blower but doesn’t feel like reading? Check out our top picks in the table below.
#1 Snow Joe iON18SB Cordless Snow Blower
#2 Greenworks PRO 2600402 Cordless Snow Blower
#3 Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO Cordless Snow Blower
#4 Snow Joe ION8024-XR Cordless Snow Blower
#5 EGO Power+ Cordless Snow Blower
- Why Invest In A Cordless Snow Blower
- How To Choose A Cordless Snow Blower
- Best Cordless Snow Blower For Light Duty Use
- 1. Snow Joe iON18SB Cordless Snow Blower
- 2. Greenworks PRO 2600402 Cordless Snow Blower
- 3. Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO Cordless Snow Blower
- 4. Snow Joe ION8024-XR Cordless Snow Blower
- 5. EGO Power+ Cordless Snow Blower
- Conclusion & Final Pick
Why Invest In A Cordless Snow Blower
Cordless snow blowers are hardly comparable with their gas or electric counterparts. Shoveling snow away requires power, and the batteries rarely have a sufficient capacity to lift heavy snow. Yet, they might be an excellent choice if you live in an area with little snow.
A cordless snow blower presents some advantages compared to electric or gas counterparts.
- They are environmentally-friendly.
Battery-powered snow blowers don’t emit any noxious fumes, which is great for your health and for the environment.
- They are lightweight. No fuel means less weight, which translates into improved maneuverability. Handling cordless units is usually easy.
- They are easy to start. You can forget about annoying cord pulling to start an engine. Cordless units are easy to start with a push of a button.
- They are convenient. You can use a cordless snow blower at any distance from the house, thanks to the battery. On most models, the batteries are compatible with other power tools.
- They are affordable. Cordless snow blowers have inferior retail prices than gas-powered units, which means they are a great investment if you only need a machine for occasional use.
How To Choose A Cordless Snow Blower
The battery is the most important thing to consider. Some cordless snow blowers are powered by two batteries, others by just one, but in all cases the battery is rechargeable. Choose a unit with higher voltage, as they are more powerful. In fact, 56V or higher units have performances comparable with the gas-powered counterparts.
Another thing to check is whether the battery is interchangeable with other tools. This will allow you to use it with a lawnmower or hedge trimmer, for example. Moreover, owning several tools with interchangeable batteries means extended runtime. Or you could save on the retail price by purchasing the bare unit.
Single or Dual Stage
Since cordless snow blowers are light duty units, a single stage machine would probably be enough. In fact, until recently, cordless or electric units were exclusively manufactured as single-stage machines. However, if you want to remove the snow faster and more effectively, you can consider a dual stage unit.
Because of the different technology involved, single stage snow blowers are cheaper than the dual stage.
Although lightweight and easy to maneuver, cordless snow blowers still operate on snowy, icy, and potentially slippery terrains. Make sure the unit comes with sturdy snow tires that increase the stability and maneuverability of the unit.
And talking about maneuverability, you might want to invest in a self-propelled unit.
The clearing width determines how fast you can finish clearing your pavements. But a too large clearing width might become problematic on a small property. Make sure the snow blower fits narrow walkways otherwise it might be useless.
On the other hand, it might take ages to clear the property with a small unit. We recommend a clearing width of at least 18 inches, which is usually perfect for most light duty purposes.
This determines the accumulation of snow the blower can deal with. Obviously, higher the figure, higher the accumulation.
To determine which clearing depth is best for you, consider the average snowfall in your area and choose accordingly.
This is an important element to consider. Most heavy-duty units come with serrated steel augers but this is not always true for cordless machines. Some of them come with plastic or even rubber augers. While plastic is effective in lifting almost all types of snow, it is less resistant than steel and might break.
Rubber will certainly protect your pavement from damage but will have a scarce performance on high accumulations or on heavy snow.
The conformation of your property but also the direction of the wind determine in which way you should discharge the snow. If the chute is not adjustable, you might end up with snow blown into your face, or with it back on the pavement.
To avoid this, choose a unit with an adjustable chute. If the chute has a remote control, you’ll even be able to adjust the throwing direction without stopping the machine.
Apart from everything said above, you should also check the additional features. These won’t determine the unit’s performance but will certainly improve your user experience.
One of the features we like best is the headlight, which allows you to clear the pathways in all light conditions. Heated hand grips are also preferred to unheated ones.
The possibility to attach accessories such as a cab is also awesome if you have to work in snow or wind. On the other hand, a cover will keep the unit protected during storage.
Best Cordless Snow Blower For Light Duty Use
1. Snow Joe iON18SB Cordless Snow Blower
Designed to clear snow from all paved surfaces, Snow Joe iON18SB boasts a lightweight design, it is easy to maneuver and highly performing. This is one of the first single stage units to provide an easy and convenient cord-free operation.The unit is powered by Snow Joe’s EcoSharp technology. It comes with an interchangeable 40V 4.0Ah rechargeable battery system that delivers up to 50 minutes of quiet operation. Zero carbon emissions mean cleaner air, improving your health.View price
Lacking the traditional cord-pull engine, the machine is easy to start. The cordless dynamo is engineered with a powerful 500W brushless motor that increases the efficiency of the battery delivering optimal motor performance and extended lifespan.
Another thing we like is the auger. Made of steel and equipped with two rubber blades, the auger moves up to 495lbs of snow per minute. It has a cutting path of 18 inches wide and a clearing depth of 8 inches. The rubber design protects the pavements.
Things We Liked
- Lightweight design: Snow Joe iON18SB weighs only 32lbs. It’s easy to maneuver on all terrains, easy to transport and compact enough to store in small spaces.
- Chute: the 180° auto-rotate directional chute throws snow up to 20ft away. The throwing direction is very easy to adjust.
- Headlight: Snow Joe iON18SB comes with an integrated LED headlight that is easy to switch on and improve visibility in low light conditions.
- Hybrid version: the unit is available in a hybrid version that allows you to switch from cordless to corded power. It comes with a 40V battery and a 13.5-amp cord.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit doesn’t have an impressive performance on wet snow and comes with lousy tires.
2. Greenworks PRO 2600402 Cordless Snow Blower
Greenworks is renowned for its innovative power tools and the manufacturer doesn’t disappoint with its PRO 2600402 snowless cord blower. This unit delivers ultimate performance and is powered by an 80V lithium-ion battery system that delivers up to 45 minutes of runtime with a 2.0Ah battery.Recharging the battery takes less than an hour, ensuring that you can clear your paths quickly and effortlessly. Moreover, the unit has a whisper-quiet operation and it doesn’t emit any noxious fumes.The performance is ensured by a brushless motor technology which delivers results comparable to a gas-powered unit. On the other hand, the 20-inch clearing width and 10-inch clearing depth make this unit more than perfect for light duty use.View price
Another feature we like is the 180° rotating chute. It is easy to control the displacement of the snow. An easy fold system ensures an easy storage or compact transportation, which is also great.
Ultimately, we like that the unit is covered by a long warranty. The workmanship, parts and material defects are covered by a 4-year manufacturer’s warranty, while the battery and charger come with a 2-year warranty.
Things We Liked
- Easy to maneuver: this unit is easy to maneuver on ice and snow, thanks to sturdy wheels and bulky tires.
- Tesla technology: the 80V battery that equips this unit is manufactured with the same technology used by Tesla power source.
- Compatibility: the 80V 2.0Ah rechargeable battery is interchangeable and compatible with a wide range of Greenworks power tools.
- Minimal vibrations: the unit is comfortable to handle thanks to the reduced level of vibrations. Moreover, the machine is also quiet.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The customer service is poor and it might take a long time for them to replace a faulty part.
3. Snow Joe iON21SB-PRO Cordless Snow Blower
The big brother of the Snow Joe cordless snow blower described above, this unit presents itself as a deluxe version with a larger clearing width and a more powerful battery. In fact, the unit has a clearing width of 21 inches and is powered by an interchangeable and rechargeable 40V 5.0Ah EcoSharp Pro lithium-ion battery.The battery delivers up to 65 minutes of effortless operation. The blower is ideal for light duty use and it can even deal with heavy accumulations of snow. It is equipped with a steel auger with two rubber blades that can move up to 660lbs of snow per minute and cuts snow 8 inches deep.View price
This unit is also easy to maneuver and easy to start. It starts instantly with a simple push of a button, it comes with an adjustable handle that maximizes user comfort and it weighs only 36lbs. Moreover, the unit is also equipped with a convenient LED headlight.
The unit is ETL-approved, it comes with an Energy Star certified charger and is backed up by a 2-year manufacturer’s warranty.
Things We Liked
- Interchangeable battery: the unit comes with an interchangeable and rechargeable 40V 5.0Ah battery which provides up to 65 minutes of smooth operation.
- Performance: with a 21 inches wide and 8 inches deep clearing, this unit is able to remove snow quickly and easily.
- Auger: the auger is made of steel and is provided with rubber blades that protect the pavement. It can lift up to 660lbs of snow per minute.
- Features: this snow blower comes with a height adjustable handle, adjustable chute, and a convenient LED headlight.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The battery doesn’t have a long lifespan and replacing it is costly.
4. Snow Joe ION8024-XR Cordless Snow Blower
Snow Joe ION8024-XR is a powerful cordless snow blower ideal for both light and heavy-duty use. Its only limitation is given by the battery system, which only provides energy for up to 30 minutes of runtime. However, compatibility with other iON power tools means you can use compatible batteries if you own any.The unit comes equipped with an 80V power plant that comprises two 40V 5.0Ah batteries and it has a powerful 2500W brushless motor that delivers performance comparable to heavy-duty gas-powered snow blowers.View price
Another thing we like is that the unit is a dual stage snow blower. This is one of the few dual stage cordless snow blowers, it can deal with all types of snow and comes with a two-stage serrated steel auger and a powerful impeller that clear snow in a breeze.
With a clearing path of 24 inches wide and a clearing depth of 13 inches, this machine can lift up to 1000lbs of snow per minute and is perfect for residential and occasional commercial use.
Things We Liked
- Performance: this machine comes with a serrated steel auger and a powerful impeller. It can easily deal with all types of snow.
- Self-propelled: the unit is easy to maneuver on all terrains thanks to the self-propelled system. Moreover, the unit has three speeds.
- Chute: the blower comes with a 180° thumb-switch auto-rotate chute that directs the snow up to 32 feet away.
- Tires: the knobby rubber TracAssist tires ensure maximum traction in the most challenging winter weather conditions.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The battery provides a limited runtime, which is quite disappointing.
5. EGO Power+ Cordless Snow Blower
EGO Power+ snow blower promises to deliver gas-powered performance without noise, fumes, and fuss. It features a Peak Power technology that combines the power of two EGO 56V ARC lithium batteries for a superior clearing power of all types of snow.The unit comes with a high-efficiency brushless motor and boasts a 21-inch wide intake. It can easily clear all paved roads and it can even work on gravel roads.View price
The unit also comes with a variable-speed auger that allows you to control how far the snow is thrown. The 35-feet throwing distance ensures a quick and effortless cleaning of your property. Moreover, two bright LED headlights illuminate the path in low light conditions.
The robust steel chassis is built for aggressive heavy-duty use, which makes the unit suitable for almost all homeowners. And to complete the design, a robust handle-mounted chute lever allows you to adjust the throwing direction at any moment.
Things We Liked
- Power: the EGO Power+ is powered by two interchangeable 56V ARC lithium batteries which provide sufficient energy for about 40 minutes of runtime.
- Chute: the unit comes with a 180° rotating chute which is controlled remotely from a handle-mounted lever.
- Lights: two extra-bright LED headlights illuminate the path in low light conditions or in adverse weather.
- Efficiency: the unit’s performance is comparable with those of gas-powered machines. This snow blower clears effectively all types of snow.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The batteries and charger don’t come with the unit and will have an impact on the final cost.
Conclusion & Final Pick
When choosing a light duty cordless snow blower, we believe the most important feature to consider is the runtime. Light duty means the unit won’t have to deal with heavy snow or large accumulations, but you might appreciate being able to clear light snow at your own pace.
With this in mind, the cordless snow blower we like best is the Snow Joe iON18SB. Ideal for residential use, easy to maneuver by all homeowners and compact enough to store with easy, Snow Joe iON18SB boasts a runtime of up to 50 minutes, which is awesome.
The unit is powered by an interchangeable 40V 4.0Ah battery, it has a robust steel auger with rubber blades and an adjustable chute that throws snow up to 20ft away.
This snow blower is also easy to start, it has a convenient headlight and a generous 18-inch clearing width and 8-inch clearing depth. Moreover, optimal motor performance is ensured by a powerful 500W brushless motor that increases the efficiency and lifespan of the product. A hybrid version is also available and we definitely consider this cordless snow blower one of the bests on the market.