Clearing heavy snow is one of the most troublesome chores for a homeowner. Cold temperature, bad weather, and wind often jeopardize the attempts to remove the white material from your pavements. But EGO snow blower can help.
How? I hear you screaming. After all, we’re talking about a battery-powered cordless machine. Could it ever deliver the same performance as a gas-powered unit?
Surprisingly, it can. Certainly, EGO snow blower has its limitations. But once you get to know them, this unit comes packed and loaded with awesome benefits. To convince ourselves of its efficiency, we tested its capabilities on various occasions. Curious how it did? Read on to find it out!
Quick comparison: Top picks for ego snow blower[wptb id="6946" not found ]
- What To Consider When Buying A Cordless Snow Blower
- EGO Snow Blower
- EGO Snow Blower – Features
- What Do Users Say About EGO Snow Blower?
- EGO Snow Blower Alternatives
What To Consider When Buying A Cordless Snow Blower
For quite some time, the world of snow blowers was dominated by the gas-powered units. Powerful, strong, and able to withstand all challenges, a manufacturer focused on improving exclusively their characteristics. This is how dual and triple stage snow blowers were created.
But in this world of gas-powered technology, someone had the idea to introduce electric and cordless machines. And cordless technology immediately started to compete with gas-powered. However, before investing in a cordless snow blower, you should be well-aware of the limits and capabilities of these units.
First, cordless machines are often less powerful than gas powered. This means a weaker force of lifting snow, therefore they are more suitable to use in an area with light snowfalls. Most cordless units are only manufactured as single stage snow blowers. This means the auger lifts, collects, and throws snow in one motion.
While this method works wonders with light snow, it might be limiting with wet or heavy snow. Therefore, before investing in a cordless snow blower, you should consider the following things.
- Type of snow. What is the average snowfall in your area? Are you most likely to deal with dry, powdery snow or with heavy watery precipitations? In the first case, a cordless snow blower might be perfect for you, in the latter consider a gas-powered machine.
- Surface. Do you have to clear a couple of driveways or a large property? Cordless machines have a limited runtime, which more often than not is under 40 minutes. If you need more time to clear all pavements, having to clear snow in several sessions might be frustrating… and useless.
- Power. Again, heavy snow requires more power than powdery snow. Consider the climate of your area and choose a unit that best suits your needs. As for the cordless, batteries vary widely from small batteries that drain in about 10-15 minutes to more powerful batteries that will last for about half an hour. Also, make sure the batteries recharge fast if you don’t want to wait more than 16 hours between clearing sessions. For the best results, go for Lithium-Ion technology.
- Cutting width. Snow blowers come in a wide range of sizes. Choose the cutting width based on the characteristics of your property; a compromise that allows you to clear your pavements fast and comfortably is desired.
- Auger. An important consideration for a reason. Many cordless machines come with plastic augers. Although durable, plastic will never last as long as steel, so we recommend choosing the latter. However, plastic augers are less harsh on pavements and are present on entry-level affordable machines.
EGO Snow Blower
EGO snow blower, or on its full name the EGO Power+ snow blower, is advertised as the only cordless machine to deliver gas-powered performance. In fact, the manufacturer is renowned for its exceptional cordless power tools that are perfectly comparable with their gas-powered counterparts.Power+ means the snow blower is part of the brand’s battery share system. The unit features the Peak Power™ technology that combines two ARC Lithium™ batteries who deliver crisp power. The blower deals effortlessly with all types of snow, including heavy wet snow.But the Power+ batteries bring other advantages to those already owning other tools in the system. You’ll be able to simply change the drained battery with a charged one and continue working for a longer time. Or you can buy the core tool alone, and save some money.High efficiency is also guaranteed by an efficient brushless motor that prolongs the lifespan of the product. Moreover, the unit has a 21-inch wide intake, which means it can plow large areas in a breeze. Coming with easily adjustable speeds and a simple auger control.View price
Talking about the auger, EGO understands the importance of a heavy-duty component and equipped its machine with a serrated steel auger with rubber paddles. Rubber lifts effortlessly the snow, it can deal with accumulations up to 13 inches and will protect your pavements from damage. A limitation of this type of auger is the capability of working on gravel surfaces. In fact, it’s not recommended to use this machine on anything else than smooth paved surfaces.
Another thing you can easily control is how far the snow is thrown. The unit’s chute boasts a robust steel construction with remote adjustment and a max throwing distance of 35 feet.
Things We Liked
- Power. This cordless machine is designed to deliver unparalleled performance. It’s powered by an ARC Lithium™ battery which is compatible with all power tools in its range.
- Adjustability. The unit is fully adjustable, from the speed of the auger to the throwing distance.
- Convenience. This snow blower comes with robust tires, adjustable handle, and bright LED headlights which allow plowing the snow in all light conditions.
- Environmentally friendly. Undoubtedly, this unit delivers almost gas-powered reliability in an environmentally-friendly form.
- Performance. With a 21-inch cutting width and 13-inch cutting depth, the EGO snow blower deals with all accumulations of snow.
Things We Didn’t Like
- Runtime. Depending on the battery you choose, the unit will run for up to 40 minutes. In some cases, you might need more time than that.
- Auger. The rubber blades wear out fast. Nevertheless, they deliver exceptional performance.
- Charger. The unit comes with a single battery charger. For a machine running on two batteries, this is disappointing.
EGO Snow Blower – Features
When it comes to design, EGO snow blower impresses with its outstanding features. The unit is sized as most standard snow blowers but is lightweight and easy to handle. EGO weighs 53lbs, meaning improved maneuverability on slippery terrains and a better control of the unit.
Designed with user comfort and convenience in mind, this unit boasts a collapsible and height adjustable handle. The collapsibility is a great feature, allowing you to store the machine in smaller spaces. Thanks to the great weight, it is even possible to transport the unit with ease.
Another feature we like is the presence of convenient LED headlights. Compared to many other snow blowers available on the market, this snow blower has two headlights instead of one, which provides better visibility in low light or adverse weather.
The controls are located within easy reach, making the unit easy to control. Adjusting the various settings is easy and can be done with simple touches of buttons.
A desired feature which unfortunately misses is the lack of heated hand grips. This is not a major drawback, yet the manufacturer could upgrade its model with this feature.
EGO snow blower is easy to control thanks to the buttons and switches located within easy reach. Some of the functions to control are the throwing distance and direction, the cutting depth, and the speed of the auger.
The throwing distance and direction is controlled from a chute rotation handle conveniently located next to the handle. The maximum throwing direction is 35 feet and the maximum rotation angle is 180° from side to side. On the opposite side is located the variable auger speed adjustment button, while a safety button designed to stop the machine instantly in case of danger is located towards the middle of the handle.
The only button located away from the handle is the headlight switch, positioned next to the battery.
The unit is powered by two ARC Lithium™ and is part of the Peak Power™ system that allows the interchange of batteries between the units. Although the unit can run with only one battery, this will cut off the power and the runtime.
EGO snow blower is available in three versions, as a core tool, or with batteries and charger set. In the second case, you can choose between 5.0Ah or 7.5Ah batteries. Regardless of the amperage, all batteries have 56V, and in the weakest version, they have a runtime of about 40 minutes when used separately.
According to the manufacturer, when powered by both batteries, the unit functions at full power for about an hour; after testing, we can say you’ll be able to plow for a long time when using the battery system as instructed.
Like we mentioned, the batteries are interchangeable, meaning you can use them on any other power tool in the system. Or you can simply buy the core tool and use other batteries on your machine.
We also like the technology of the batteries. ARC Lithium™ means the battery is shaped as an arc inside the case. Having a better temperature control of the battery’s core, these parts last for longer and deliver a constant power until they are completely drained.
A power indicator on the machine will tell you when it’s time to recharge. With the fast recharger, it takes less than an hour to charge them.
To our surprise, the unit does deliver a performance comparable with a gas-powered machine. The product has a 21-inch clearing width and a 13-inch clearing depth. It delivers the best performance on snow up to 10 inches but it can effortlessly deal with heavy wet snow.
The performance is not ensured only by the batteries. The auger does an excellent job of lifting and throwing snow. Made of a serrated steel core and strong rubber paddles, the component is designed to protect your pavements.
On a downside, the rubber paddles wear out pretty fast, while clearing snow from gravel surfaces might damage the unit.
Another component that ensures performance is the brushless motor that delivers a high speed and that is able to deal with the blower’s workload.
Maneuverability is ensured by sturdy wheels and lightweight design. The unit weighs 53lbs, which improves the control. This snow blower is ideal for all homeowners, and women can easily plow with it even if the accumulation of snow is thick.
The wheels are not excessively big, yet they are robust and designed to perform well on slippery terrains. They measure 7 inches in diameter and come equipped with resistant tires that improve traction.
Not really a feature but undoubtedly a benefit, the unit is backed up by a 5-year manufacturer’s warranty for the core tool and 3-year warranty for the battery.
What Do Users Say About EGO Snow Blower?
Users seem to be thrilled by the reliability of this unit. Described as a gem of the cordless snow blowers, this machine is appreciated for its gas-power-like capabilities.
Most users declared to be surprised by the performance of this unit; the runtime and the weight of the machine have been among the most appreciated features. The batteries are described as reliable and the overall weight has been appreciated by users of both genders.
When asked whether they’d go back to a gas-powered unit, most users declared to be completely satisfied with EGO snow blower and the vast majority didn’t see much difference between this machine and a gas-powered counterpart.
On a downside, some users would have liked steel auger blades. While described as resistant, the fact they are replaceable means they will wear out sooner or later.
Here you can see more about what the users have to say about EGO snow blower.
EGO Snow Blower Alternatives
EGO snow blower is one of the most reliable cordless units on the market. Here is a quick comparison with its most popular alternatives.
1. Snow Joe iON18SB Cordless Snow Blower
Designed to clear light snow from all properties, Snow Joe iON18SB is a single stage machine intended for light duty occasional use. It’s powered by a 40V battery and delivers decent performance thanks to the 500W brushless motor.The unit doesn’t have heavy duty capabilities but it comes in a hybrid version that allows you to switch between corded and cordless power.
Snow Joe iON18SB Vs. EGO Snow Blower
- Both units come with a brushless motor, but Snow Joe is powered by a 40V battery. On the contrary, EGO is powered by two 56V batteries for extended runtime.
- Both units are equipped with resistant augers with a steel core and rubber blades. The chutes are adjustable on both machines but EGO can throw the snow at 35 feet away, whereas Snow Joe at only 20 feet.
- When it comes to weight and maneuverability, both units are easy to handle. Snow Joe wins on weight, with its 32lbs. As for convenience, EGO has brighter light given by two headlights.
2. Greenworks PRO Cordless Snow Thrower
Greenworks PRO boasts a whisper-quiet operation and a power comparable to some gas-powered units. This machine is powered by an 80V Tesla battery, it has a clearing width of 20 inches and a clearing depth of 10 inches.A minimal level of vibrations and battery compatibility between the manufacturer’s cordless tools add up to convenience.
Greenworks PRO Vs. EGO Snow Blower
- At a first glance, Greenworks’ battery seems more reliable, but things are slightly different. The 80V Tesla technology battery has only 2.0Ah. This means a runtime of about 40 minutes in the best of the hypothesis. EGO can run for more than an hour.
- The units have comparable clearing capacities. 1 inch of clearing width is not a major difference, and even if EGO can deal with snow accumulations of 13 inches, it has the best performance on snow up to 10 inches. The same as Greenworks PRO.
- EGO has a longer warranty for both core tool and batteries. Greenworks comes with a warranty of three years for the tool and two years for the battery.
3. Snow Joe iON8024-XRP Cordless Snow Blower
Ideal for heavy-duty use and equipped with reliable components, Snow Joe ION8024-XRP is a true competitor of EGO snow blower. This unit comes with two 40V batteries and a full serrated steel auger that lifts snow in a breeze.Dual-stage technology ensures a quicker and more effective removal of snow from almost all surfaces.
Snow Joe ION8024-XRP Vs. EGO Snow Blower
- Both units are powered by two batteries. Yet, EGO is the clear winner of this battle. Its 56V batteries are more powerful, and the ARC Lithium™ technology ensures reliability in the long run. Both units have interchangeable batteries but Snow Joe has a runtime of about 30 minutes, truly disappointing.
- Snow Joe beats EGO when it comes to plowing power. The full steel auger of Snow Joe is sturdy, resistant and it’s unlikely to wear out. The rubber blades on the EGO will have to be replaced sooner or later.
- The chutes of both units rotate 180° and the throwing distance is similar. EGO can throw snow to 35 feet away and Snow Joe to 32 feet. But Snow Joe is self-propelled, so it clearly wins this battle.
EGO snow blower is a reliable cordless unit that delivers gas-powered performance, an extended runtime and excellent maneuverability. The purchase options are flexible, the unit is compatible with all 56V ARC Lithium™ batteries and convenient to use on all snow accumulations.
There are many benefits that come with this unit. It boasts a quiet operation, it is easy to handle, compact to store and environmentally friendly. Use it on daylight or nighttime, thanks to the bright LED headlights. Sturdy wheels provide excellent traction and easy-reach controls ensure a smooth operation.
Of course, EGO snow blower is not perfect. But none of the snow blowers available on the market is. And in our opinion, it is a great machine to consider.