A gas snow blower might not be the most environmentally-friendly machines, but it clears snow in a breeze. Compared with its cordless or electric counterparts, a gas snow blower is powerful and reliable, two necessary qualities for heavy-duty use.
Read on to find out more. Or click on the links in the table below to check the best gas snow blowers for heavy-duty use on the market.
- 1 Types Of Gas Snow Blowers
- 2 How To Choose A Heavy-Duty Gas Snow Blower
- 3 Best Gas Snow Blower For Heavy-Duty Use
- 3.1 1. Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower
- 3.2 2. HD Cub Cadet 3X Snow Blower Thrower 28″
- 3.3 3. Power Smart DB7651 LCT Two-Stage Snow Thrower
- 3.4 4. Briggs & Stratton 1696737 Single Stage Snow Thrower
- 3.5 5. YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower
- 4 Conclusion & Final Pick
Types Of Gas Snow Blowers
Gas snow blowers are divided into three categories, based on the way they gather and discharge snow.
Single-Stage Snow Blowers
These are the simplest and smallest models on the market. Ideal for small properties and areas with low snowfalls, these snow blowers are usually cheap, compact, and easy to use.
The single-stage snow blower is equipped with an auger that lifts and throws the snow in a single process. For this reason, it has a poor performance on heavy snow and is not suited for heavy-duty use.
Dual-Stage Snow Blowers
Dual-stage snow blowers are slightly more complicated in terms of engineering than the single-stage ones, but are more powerful and can deal with all types of snow. These machines are equipped with an auger that lifts the snow and an impeller that throws it.
A dual-stage snow blower has excellent performances on all types of snow, and there are dozens of models available on the market suitable for small and large properties.
Professional dual-stage snow blowers resist well to intense heavy-duty use while residential models are more suitable for occasional use.
Triple-Stage Snow Blowers
Triple-stage snow blowers are rather new. The main difference between dual-stage and triple-stage is in the way the machine lifts and throws snow. A triple-stage snow blower has three augers that are able to dispose the snow ten times faster than a dual-stage unit.
Moreover, triple-stage snow blowers are self-propelled, meaning that it’s easier to clear heavy snow from your property. These machines are perfect for heavy-duty use.
How To Choose A Heavy-Duty Gas Snow Blower
One of the main things to consider when choosing a heavy-duty gas snow blower is the engine. This determines the power of the machine, and for the best results, it is recommended to choose a powerful engine.
The choices vary widely, but we wouldn’t recommend investing in a unit with less than 200cc.
All gas-powered tools are renowned for how long it takes to start them. The emergence of electric starts changed the things, and today the most reliable models come with an electric start. This means you’ll be able to turn on the tool instantly even in the coldest weather.
The downside of this technology is its price. The presence of an electric start can boost the price with a few tens of dollars in the best of the hypothesis; if you’re budget-conscious, a pull rope start will certainly save you money.
A large clearing width will allow you to finish your chores faster, but make sure the model you like fits well on your property. A 30-inch snow blower might be too large for a narrow walkway. On the contrary, it might take ages to remove snow from a large property with an 18-inch unit.
Decide which clearing depth is best based on the weather patterns in your area. If there are constant heavy snowfalls in the area where you live, choose a unit with a large clearing depth. If you live in an area with weak snowfalls, choose a unit with a small clearing depth.
Choosing the right clearing depth is essential if you want to remove snow efficiently.
In areas with weak snowfalls, the size of the tires is not really important. Yet, you’ll need a strong traction and increased stability in heavy snow.
There are many machines equipped with snow tires, and if you want to play safe, we suggest choosing one of these.
Some snow blowers come with accessories, others are compatible with accessories. Some of the most useful are: a snow blower cab which protects you from wind and snow, and a protective cover. The latter will allow you to store the machine outdoors.
Besides everything else mentioned above, you should also consider the features designed to make the unit more convenient and easy to use.
Heated handle grips are probably the most important feature to consider. This will allow you to maneuver the unit without gloves, which could be an advantage. A height-adjustable handle, on the other hand, will allow you to fit the unit to your needs.
Another feature we’d want on a snow blower is a powerful headlight, a feature that allows you to clear your driveways in all light conditions.
Best Gas Snow Blower For Heavy-Duty Use
1. Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower
Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower is ideal for heavy-duty use designed to remove snow in no time from almost all properties. Ideal for residential use but also suitable for commercial purposes, this snow blower features a 27-inch wide clearing path and a 20-inch intake height.The unit clears snow with extreme efficiency, while the motor starts easily thanks to the push button electric start. The button is designed specifically for cold weather and it has the durability to work through heavy snowfalls.Check Price on Amazon
As for the engine, the unit is equipped with a by Briggs & Stratton snow series engine that delivers high performance and the right amount of power to meet all the needs. This specific model boasts a 1150 Snow Series Engine of 250cc and qualified to start in temperatures as low as -20°F, featuring 11.5 foot-pounds of gross torque.
Another thing we like is the friction disc transmission that is ideal for heavy snow conditions and that helps to clean down your driveways and walkways.
Things We Liked
- Chute rotation: this model has a dash-mounted chute rotation and an on-panel chute deflector that makes it easy to remove the snow from your property.
- Free hand control: this feature allows you to drive the snow blower with just one hand while using the controls with the other hand, making it easy to operate the machine.
- Reversible skid shoes: the unit is equipped with steel reversible skid shoes which make plowing through the snow easy. The unit is easy to maneuver.
- Tires: this unit comes with sturdy snow tires which measure 14×4 inches. Moreover, the unit is also equipped with single LED headlights.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit is awesome but putting it together is a pain.
2. HD Cub Cadet 3X Snow Blower Thrower 28″
HD Cub Cadet 3X is a triple stage snow blower designed for heavy duty use. Ideal for homeowners looking for a powerful machine but also ideal for commercial use, this gas snow blower is made to clear the pavements quickly and easily.The Cub Cadet 3X boasts a 28-inch clearing width and an 18-inch clearing depth, while the advantages of the patented-awaiting 3X technology make it one of the most reliable heavy-duty units on the market. Adding up to the versatility is also the remotely controlled chute that rotates to 200°.Check Price on Amazon
The power is ensured by a 357cc OHV 4-cycle engine which is easy to start thanks to the integrated electric button. On the other hand, snow is removed by a strong serrated steel auger and disposed of by a 12-inch induction accelerator designed to deal with both snow and ice.
Controlling the unit on all types of snow and all terrains is a breeze thanks to the sturdy wheels. Other exceptional features to mention are the heated hand grips and the powerful LED headlight. Moreover, the manufacturer produces a range of accessories compatible with the unit.
Things We Liked
- Electric start: even if the unit is gas-powered, the push-button electric start turns on the engine in a breeze and helps you forget about annoying rope pulling.
- Drive system: the unit is easy to handle and maneuver regardless of how heavy the snow is, thanks to the self-propelled drive system.
- Accessories: there is available a Deluxe universal thrower cap and a universal snow thrower cover that are very convenient.
- Power steering: the trigger-controlled power steering is another feature that improves the maneuverability of the machine.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The auger is too small compared to the clearing width.
3. Power Smart DB7651 LCT Two-Stage Snow Thrower
Power Smart DB7651 is a great heavy-duty unit to consider if you’re looking for a more compact machine. This snow blower has a 24-inch clearing width and 20-inch clearing depth, and it might be the ideal choice if you have a small outdoor space in an area with heavy snowfalls.The unit comes with a bunch of useful features. Among them, one we really like is the powerful 208cc engine and the electric power start designed for use in cold climates. The push button ensures a quick engine start in all weathers, which is simply awesome.Check Price on Amazon
The two-stage snow removal technology ensures an effective removal of heavy snow and also a faster and further throwing. The unit comes with 12-inch serrated steel augers that pull the snow and that can also deal well with patches of ice.
Another thing we like is the fact that the unit comes equipped with adjustable skid shoes that allow alterations of the height of the scrapers. This allows you to use the snow thrower on multiple surfaces including dirt and gravel.
Things We Liked
- Speeds: this snow blower has 4 forward speeds and 2 reverse speeds which ensure a quick and efficient clearing of your pavements.
- Chute control: the unit comes with an adjustable chute that rotates 180°, allowing you to control the direction and distance of the throw.
- Drive and direction control: a control lever conveniently located on a panel between the two handles allows you to control both the speed and the direction.
- Accessories: the unit comes with cable clips, shear pins, a clean-out tool and drift cutters, plus a booklet of operating instructions.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The chute tends to get stuck in one position with the time.
4. Briggs & Stratton 1696737 Single Stage Snow Thrower
Briggs & Stratton 1696737 is a single stage gas snow blower suitable for heavy duty use but ideal for those who live in an area with light snowfall. The unit is powered by a 950 Snow Series engine with 208cc and 9.5 foot-pounds of torque.The powerful engine makes this unit able to deal with heavy accumulations of snow, while the 22-inch clearing width makes it perfect for almost all properties. The unit has a 12.5 intake height and comes with an easy-to-use chute-mounted rotation and deflector controls.Check Price on Amazon
The compact size makes the unit easy to maneuver, while the sturdy construction ensures this snow blower performs at full capacity year after year. However, the unit doesn’t come with an electric start button, which might be a downside.
On the other hand, perhaps the lack of an electric start keeps the unit’s price low. In fact, this machine is affordable and is an excellent alternative to a dual stage unit. Therefore, if you’re on a budget but need such a machine, this might be the one.
Things We Liked
- Easy to maneuver: this snow blower is compact, fairly lightweight and easy to maneuver and control on all types of snow.
- Rotating chute: the unit comes with a manual rotating chute and a quick deflector that allows you to control the throwing distance and direction.
- Performance: the unit has a 22-inch wide clearing path and a 12.5-inch intake height. Perfect for heavy duty use.
- Warranty: the machine is backed up by a 3-year limited manufacturer’s warranty.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The unit comes with a recoil start and needs synthetic oil for easier starting.
5. YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower
If you feel that a single stage snow blower is not exactly suitable for heavy duty use, but your budget is low, you could consider the YARDMAX YB5765 Two-Stage Snow Blower. This is a more than affordable dual-stage unit ideal for heavy duty use and designed to deal with all types of snow.The unit is available in two sizes; the 22-inch wide clearing path is perfect for small to medium-sized properties, while the 24-inch wide clearing path is more appropriate for larger properties. Regardless of your options, both units have the same features and characteristics.Check Price on Amazon
Two of these features are the multiple speeds and the self-propelled drive which make it easy to maneuver the unit on snow. The machine has 5 forward speeds and one reverse, while the unit is designed to cut through snow and ice effortlessly.
Similar to the single-stage unit mentioned above, this snow blower doesn’t have an electric start and is powered by a 196cc recoil start engine. While this might be a drawback in the harsh winter weather, the unit is still a valid alternative to the expensive electric start units. However, the 24-inch unit has the electric start option.
Things We Liked
- Make: the machine is made of solid steel, including the chute and the auger. The ax-shaped housing allows an effortless removal of the snow.
- Gears: the unit comes with alloy steel gears protected by an aluminum gear case, while synthetic gear oil extends the performance.
- Price: this is one of the cheapest snow blowers in its range. However, the unit has a great overall quality and performance.
- Easy to operate: the unit is engineered to provide the perfect balance between weight and handlebar height, improving the user experience.
Things We Didn’t Like
- The engine is rather small for heavy duty use and comes with recoil start.
Conclusion & Final Pick
In our opinion, the best gas snow blower for heavy duty use is the Briggs and Stratton 1696619 Dual-Stage Snow Thrower. Ideal to remove snow for all properties, compact enough for residential use and powerful enough for commercial purposes, this machine delivers impressive performance.
The unit features a 27-inch wide clearing path and has a 20-inch intake height. It can deal with heavy accumulations of snow and comes with a quick start electric button designed specifically for cold weather.
This snow blower also has a friction disc transmission and a 250cc 1150 Snow Series Engine with 11.5 foot-pounds of torque. It is designed to finish all chores in a breeze and helps you save time to spend with your loved ones. Without a doubt, an excellent gas snow blower to consider.